• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't flatter yourselves.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I think he must have meant per month. The really poor contractors are on about that much, hard as it might be to believe.
    Ah - makes sense now. For a minute there I thought I really had lost touch with how the other half live.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
      Been meaning to raise this one for a while now...

There seems to be a prevailing attitude amongst some on here that they are somehow part of a wealthy elite that has risen above mere ordinary people. Clues to this are the smug over-exaggerated claims of wealth/income and attacking anyone who dares to criticise the real wealthy elite who have steered the economy onto the rocks and received massive rewards for/despite doing so.

Don't flatter yourselves!

Maybe some of you earn £50K or £100K per year, or even £150K per year (very few at that level), but even so, you're still a wage-slave. You would still be tulipting yourself if you were out of work for a couple of years. Don't kid yourself that you're in the same league as bankers, footballers, proper-entrepreneurs.

I used to be a contractor and rode the wave of the late 90's boom (Y2K + dot com), so I've seen what it's like to earn a fat contract rate. I didn't go out and waste my money on flash cars or get drunk on champagne like some were doing, and I never fooled myself into believing that I was rich.

Sorry to burst your bubble. You're not the wealthy elite. You're just a little bit better off than the average guy.
      I find it niggling that one’s weekend break St Moritz is interrupted by some underclass bod posting on CUC and not knowing his place in society.

Such ridicule cannot be tolerated and I was so shocked at this false allegation I convulsed and thus spayed Chateauneuf of the 1967 vintage over the Swiss Maid preparing raclette. I have you know that in these times of austerity, I can no longer afford to have truffles flown to client co and I have to rely on standard DHL shipping.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

well i am a darn sight better off than my dad ever was, and he was saying the same thing about my grandad.
        so i may not be 'there' yet, but it's progress

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

There seems to be a prevailing attitude amongst some on here that they are somehow part of a wealthy elite that has risen above mere ordinary people. Clues to this are the smug over-exaggerated claims of wealth/income and attacking anyone who dares to criticise the real wealthy elite who have steered the economy onto the rocks and received massive rewards for/despite doing so.

Maybe some of you earn £50K or £100K per year, or even £150K per year (very few at that level), but even so, you're still a wage-slave. You would still be tulipting yourself if you were out of work for a couple of years. Don't kid yourself that you're in the same league as bankers, footballers, proper-entrepreneurs.

I used to be a contractor and rode the wave of the late 90's boom (Y2K + dot com), so I've seen what it's like to earn a fat contract rate. I didn't go out and waste my money on flash cars or get drunk on champagne like some were doing, and I never fooled myself into believing that I was rich.

Sorry to burst your bubble. You're not the wealthy elite. You're just a little bit better off than the average guy.
          Yeah, WHS. Know your place scum!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            PS. Not everything you read here happens in real life, just in case it hasn't dawned on you yet..
            Indeed. I regularly lie on here. On an anonymous talk board there is bound to be alot of lieing.

In fact I might even have lied in the above...

Comment

I have raised this before too, the arrogance of some is amusing, considering that all that most of us have done is to have the good luck to have particular numerical and logical skills and to be around during the short period of human history whan that could make you a well-paid wage slave rather than a poorly-paid one. ISTR the phrase I used last time was, "you're still ******* peasants as far as I can see" (I may have borrowed the sense of it from a song).

I don't suffer from the illusion that I'm some sort of wealth centre or an entrepreneur. At best, I strive to be more like a self-employed tradesman than a "salaryman": I still have to take tulip, as a permie does, but not nearly as much of it and I can choose a bit more which load of it I take. The money is usually OK, no complaints, but it's not what it is all about. A little bit more freedom, and self-reliance and self-respect, is what it is about.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

The only person I can remember sticking up for bankers getting bonuses is me... and I don't pretend to be in some kind of elite.

I think you're seeing what you want to see.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No, Sasguru's flounced.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    Funny you should mention this... Seriously.

I spent all of yesterday searching the web for the best place to learn to fly helicopters. I don't want a "cheapskate" piston engine jobbie, so that's the R22 and R44 out of the picture. Nicest turbine I could see for my needs was the Eurocopter EC120B.

Have you ever flown one? Any feedback on it much appreciated.
                    I learned to fly in an R22, progressed to an R44 and then eventually obtained a Jet Long Ranger type rating.

But then I'm an oik who worked his way up through the ranks

If you can handle a twitchy little bastard like an R22 you can fly anything.

Don't knock it.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      I learned to fly in an R22, progressed to an R44 and then eventually obtained a Jet Long Ranger type rating.

But then I'm an oik who worked his way up through the ranks

If you can handle a twitchy little bastard like an R22 you can fly anything.

Don't knock it.
                      Cheers.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X