• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't flatter yourselves.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    Maybe some of you earn £50K or £100K per year, or even £150K per year
    Really? Some people earn that little? How do they manage?

Comment

Maybe some of you earn £50K or £100K per year, or even £150K per year (very few at that level), but even so, you're still a wage-slave. You would still be tulipting yourself if you were out of work for a couple of years. Don't kid yourself that you're in the same league as bankers, footballers, proper-entrepreneurs.
      I know a fair few people who run or have run their own businesses, I also have a couple of ex lower division footballers in the family and I have a few friends who work in banks as well. Aside from a couple of the bankers (not traders) and one of the self employed guys I am pretty much up there.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        And you are lacking a sense of humour and irony but make up for it with an impressive display of pomposity.

(and I doubt that a 10 mega-tonne bomb could burst your bubble).

PS. Not everything you read here happens in real life, just in case it hasn't dawned on you yet..

Oh and I noticed that you posted the above and immediately logged off and ran for it...
        He has a point. All of you are quick to boast about your wealth. It's disgusting. I said the same to my wife when I was on our yacht in Cannes last week after Jeeves had flown us across in the jet.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Been meaning to raise this one for a while now...

There seems to be a prevailing attitude amongst some on here that they are somehow part of a wealthy elite that has risen above mere ordinary people. Clues to this are the smug over-exaggerated claims of wealth/income and attacking anyone who dares to criticise the real wealthy elite who have steered the economy onto the rocks and received massive rewards for/despite doing so.

Don't flatter yourselves!

Maybe some of you earn £50K or £100K per year, or even £150K per year (very few at that level), but even so, you're still a wage-slave. You would still be tulipting yourself if you were out of work for a couple of years. Don't kid yourself that you're in the same league as bankers, footballers, proper-entrepreneurs.

I used to be a contractor and rode the wave of the late 90's boom (Y2K + dot com), so I've seen what it's like to earn a fat contract rate. I didn't go out and waste my money on flash cars or get drunk on champagne like some were doing, and I never fooled myself into believing that I was rich.

Sorry to burst your bubble. You're not the wealthy elite. You're just a little bit better off than the average guy.
          Funny you should mention this... Seriously.

I spent all of yesterday searching the web for the best place to learn to fly helicopters. I don't want a "cheapskate" piston engine jobbie, so that's the R22 and R44 out of the picture. Nicest turbine I could see for my needs was the Eurocopter EC120B.

Have you ever flown one? Any feedback on it much appreciated.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

The worst person I know for this actually isn't a contractor, it's a guy on my facebook who is an IT permie. His status updates are all genuine, and tend to be asking for restaurant recommendations in various cities around the world, talking about how great various first class airport lounges are, or what hotel he's staying in. His last one was "just saved $400 in the abercrombie sale".
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              "just saved $400 in the abercrombie sale".
              so did I!!! by not going
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                Really? Some people earn that little? How do they manage?
                I think he must have meant per month. The really poor contractors are on about that much, hard as it might be to believe.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Success is not a place at which one arrives but rather the spirit with which one undertakes and continues the journey.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Success is not a place at which one arrives but rather the spirit with which one undertakes and continues the journey.
                    Too profound for CUK
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      Too profound for CUK
                      With my hangover, a spanking is the last thing I want.

Hmmm, or is it?
                      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                      X