• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the experts: Which Tent ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the experts: Which Tent ?

Morning All,

well one of the new years resolutions is.... when the weather gets better, MB01 will take MB03 and MB04 away at weekends for Saturday / Sunday camping trips with other dads and their children to give everyone's xy02's a break and of course to have some fun.

So question is, which tent ?

I started looking at this Khyam Igloo but got scared of stories about condensation from the poly whatever main sheet, and I'm also worried that being taller than Sas I may have trouble getting into the thing...

Khyam Igloo (110042) from Somerset Camping

Then, using the old philosophy that you have to be rich to be able to afford to buy cheap,

I started thinking about spending a bit more for something more long term, with more space for the long term, something easier to get in and out of, and most importantly cotton sheets which as far as I understand won't get condensation so,
    I started looking at one of these more traditional beauties....

Nordisk Nando Bell Tent

so I am really leaning towards the Nordisk one, but, thought, before splashing out the hard earned, I should ask the experts first.

So folks, what to do and which is best ?

Milan.

You didn't pick up on any of her subtle hints for a decent xmas present and now you have to sleep in the garden?

Comment

he he

happy new year Taffy

Milan.

Comment

For weekend trips I would avoid the cotton one. If you have to take it down when its wet it will be a complete pain to get get dry when your back home. Not worth it for only a weekend.

I'd also go for tent with a small porch to keep wet shoes etc in, rather than have them in the main part fo the tent.

Comment

thanks Acme,

well that's the Nordisk out of the window then

so what about the Khyam Igloo or do you have any recommendations ?

It's a mine field there are zillions to choose from

Thanks

Milan.

Comment

I paid £25 for my my first tent (Sundowner) and was happy with it, but it was a fraction short, so I bought another more expensive one for about £50, but it is a bit bigger and heavier to lug around. Horses for courses. Not yet experienced wet/bad weather in either.

Cotton and moisture are not usually associated in a positive way because cotton readily absorbs water and takes ages to dry out.

Comment

Go for nylon, not canvas - you'll be forever drying the canvas one out.

Aim for +1 on the number of people that you want to take, so if want to take 3 get a 4 man tent. Look for a porch area to store more stuff in and to shelter in and try to get one with an integrated ground sheet if you can.

Domed tents are easy to put up and fairly robust in British weather.

Don't go to town on cost - maybe £150 max - as they rip and the zips can fail quite a lot and the cost of replacing the zips can almost be as much as a new tent (which is my Scout group has a load of nylon tents with damaged zips).

I'd be looking at Vango myself as a starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

so what about the Khyam Igloo or do you have any recommendations ?
                Can't give you weekend tent recommendations as we camp for a week or more at a time, so use larger tents which may take a little longer to get up and down. So far we have used a Vango Colorado , Outdoor Revolution and now use a trailer tent. The Outdoor Revolution is much better than the Colorado. Kyhams and Outwells seem to be a popular tents at the campsites we've been to.

Things to keep in mind
                Sewn in ground sheets keep the wind and rain out
                Where are you going to cook (or boil the kettle)

Comment

thanks Acme

I will have a look at Vango

damn it's such a minefield, I don't mind to spend some £ but I want to do it once and do it right and not buy something and then find I bought a pile of poo and should have bought something else

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                    Go for nylon, not canvas - you'll be forever drying the canvas one out.

Aim for +1 on the number of people that you want to take, so if want to take 3 get a 4 man tent. Look for a porch area to store more stuff in and to shelter in and try to get one with an integrated ground sheet if you can.

Domed tents are easy to put up and fairly robust in British weather.

Don't go to town on cost - maybe £150 max - as they rip and the zips can fail quite a lot and the cost of replacing the zips can almost be as much as a new tent (which is my Scout group has a load of nylon tents with damaged zips).

I'd be looking at Vango myself as a starting point.

thanks Rasputin

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X