• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Anyway back on subject, the OP was asking about the definition of the word Bob.

Though I stand to be corrected, my impression is that it is a slang word, originating on this board, for an indian IT worker, especially one who is fairly low skilled and working on off-shored projects with western contractors and companies.

In my opinion it is a psychological device used by western contractors to deal with the fact that they are all going to lose their jobs and status to these ambitious hard working individuals, by focusing their attention on the few weaknesses that they do have.
    Have you ever been wrong before or is this a first for you?

2/10 for trolling btw.

Comment

I thought it was because they all seem to do the bobbing head thing... someone posted a link to it before.

Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        Anyway back on subject, the OP was asking about the definition of the word Bob.

Though I stand to be corrected, my impression is that it is a slang word, originating on this board, for an indian IT worker, especially one who is fairly low skilled and working on off-shored projects with western contractors and companies.

In my opinion it is a psychological device used by western contractors to deal with the fact that they are all going to lose their jobs and status to these ambitious hard working individuals, by focusing their attention on the few weaknesses that they do have.
        Thanks for the clarification. You're probably correct but can't post anything back of not as have to attend some kind meeting that I've already attempted to get out off. Oh well, think of the £.

Comment

Actuall it's ANY off-shore cheap and cheerful resource.

I've seen Bob Shawahahagimangalapan and Bob Szavoboda brought in on projects.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Actuall it's ANY off-shore cheap and cheerful resource.

I've seen Bob Shawahahagimangalapan and Bob Szavoboda brought in on projects.
            Burn the duck! Heresy!

Comment

didn't it stem from that poster Bob Shawoddywoddy - he would pop up with many much quickness plenty cheapness posts

thus any off shore coder became known as a 'Bob' although I think it was directed more at those from the Indian sub continent.

But I could be wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Have you ever been wrong before or is this a first for you?
                It has been known to happen..

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  didn't it stem from that poster Bob Shawoddywoddy - he would pop up with many much quickness plenty cheapness posts

thus any off shore coder became known as a 'Bob' although I think it was directed more at those from the Indian sub continent.

But I could be wrong...
                  That sounds about right. Bob was the archetypal offshore bod, much cheapness, plenty quickness for all your software doings etc. It was funny back then and I don't see any problem referring to people working for Indian offshore companies as Bobs, but recently it seems it's come to mean anyone from India or even anyone with brown skin, which is where I start to have a problem with it.

And I don't know what the hell KIP thinks it means if this is how he uses it

Originally posted by keninparis View Post
                  Prefer Sarkozy's bob.

Comment

Bob's last post was over a year ago, before even HAB's last.

Comment

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X