• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for all the God-bothering Christian types on here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Sas, that premise is worthy of only the BNP fraternity. Read John Locke’s Treatise in Toleration on which many of our and Americas liberal thought is based. Basically anyone can believe what the hell they want as long as it doesn’t harm the state or public safety. Remember ‘Tolerance’ is about enduring something you disagree with to allow others to live they life the way they see fit. A happy community is less likely to cause problems, but this does have limits. Take the turban and motorcycle case, no harm is done to the wider community and the freedom to wear a turban instead of a helmet is of trivial consequence, if you became a Sikh you would have the same freedom. However, a Sikh boy was expelled from school for wearing a Kirpan with a 5 inch blade in north London a couple of years back (Times March 2010 ish).
    What I was getting at is at what point we say peoples beliefs are "wrong". And what you and CM have pionted is it's when those beliefs affect other peoples 'elf and safety.
    But philosophically that is an arbitrary (albeit important and practical) criterion and my point is that peoples beliefs may be "wrong" at a much earlier stage than when they decide murder in the name of faith is justified. Probably at the stage, contrary to Occam's Razor, when they decide to believe in "something" for which there is no evidence.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      What I was getting at is at what point we say peoples beliefs are "wrong". And what you and CM have pionted is it's when those beliefs affect other peoples 'elf and safety.
      But philosophically that is an arbitrary (albeit important and practical) criterion and my point is that peoples beliefs may be "wrong" at a much earlier stage than when they decide murder in the name of faith is justified. Probably at the stage, contrary to Occam's Razor, when they decide to believe in "something" for which there is no evidence.
      Higgs Bosons to you too!

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        Please read my signature
        I said I can't remember, which in effect was a question to those with good memory who had a chance to correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Probably at the stage, contrary to Occam's Razor, when they decide to believe in "something" for which there is no evidence.
          A lack of supporting evidence doesn't make somebodies viewpoint wrong, it just prevents it being accepted as undeniably correct. I think when people refuse to accept evidence to the contrary we can say with certanity they are wrong.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Some adventurous PhD student might make a name for him or herself by undertaking a comprehensive survey of the population with a questionnaire that tested people's moral, logical, reasoning and ethical quotients and also their religious views, and see what comes out. Far be it for me to pre-empt what such a survey might reveal, but he or she would probably be burnt at the stake if the results were published. It would cause a big stink at the very least, and would have to be done again hastily to get the correct result.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I said I can't remember, which in effect was a question to those with good memory who had a chance to correct me.
              I was going to suggest a Mr A. Hitler, who was to all intents and purposes a bit of an atheist, aside from the fact that he thought that HE was God. He certainly ruffled a few feathers.
              Although to be fair to him, he was always very keen on supporting the advancement of medical science, and indeed commissioned venerable medical men like Dr J. Mengele to push that particular envelope.

HTH
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                I was going to suggest a Mr A. Hitler, who was to all intents and purposes a bit of an atheist, aside from the fact that he thought that HE was God. He certainly ruffled a few feathers.
                Hitler was racist more than anything or at least that was his main doctrine, whether he truly believe in it or not is another question but he certainly did not close all churches.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  I was going to suggest a Mr A. Hitler, who was to all intents and purposes a bit of an atheist
                  Unfortunately me old barnacle, 'Itler was a good old fashioned Catholic.

http://nobeliefs.com/nazis.htm

Rumour has it he was a St. Pauli fan as well. Fascist scumbags.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    That's what you think and sure, who am I to try to change your mind?
                    Isn't it your Christian duty to try to change his mind?

Matthew 28:19
                    Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Mark 16:15-16
                    And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Isn't it your Christian duty to try to change his mind?
                      Technically no. To share the gospel yes. What people do with that is their prerogative.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X