• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Go - No Go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I got no support from management and was the villain.

Some places get contractors in so they have a scapegoat for when it goes tits up. That's what the big pay cheque is for, to pay you off, not for your skills.

So I'm popping down to Ladbrokes to put a grand on the MF Accumulator Special (available this weekend only):

Event 1: MF canned on Monday for being the bearer of bad news. 'Who dealt it did it' applies as far as der-Management are concerned.

Event 2: MF decks said management on way out of the door.

Event 3: MF gets an interview to go permie, figuring it's a less stressful life than having to find new work every few weeks.

Even 4: MF walks out of the first permie interview, realising they're morons who won't change their business practices to his way of thinking.

Event 5: MF opens a new tat shop. This time online only. Dropshipped from Asia.

One thing that is odds on is it's going to be more entertaining than that Red or Black tulipe on ITV.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Event 1: MF canned on Monday for being the bearer of bad news. 'Who dealt it did it' applies as far as der-Management are concerned. - No chance

Event 2: MF decks said management on way out of the door. - Always a possibility

Event 3: MF gets an interview to go permie, figuring it's a less stressful life than having to find new work every few weeks. - October. Job is in California

Even 4: MF walks out of the first permie interview, realising they're morons who won't change their business practices to his way of thinking. - Possibly - I'd be going in as part of a disruptive management team

Event 5: MF opens a new tat shop. This time online only. Dropshipped from Asia. - Not far off. Is it snowing yet?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        As a 'tractor, is it your place to kick ass (I spelt it wrong just for you)?

I recall going postal at a very lax infrastructure department once. I got no support from management and was the villain.
        I keep the brutal honesty for those areas which are my expertise and which the client is paying me for.
        Everything else is NOMFup
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Permie delivered. Contractor has gone 7 days over and has yet to pass testing. One fail after another. Not getting any closer.

End of play tomorrow I have been asked to make a decision on whether we terminate the contractor so they can withhold payment.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I have been asked to make a decision on whether we terminate the contractor so they can withhold payment.

Comment

Permie delivered. Contractor has gone 7 days over and has yet to pass testing. One fail after another. Not getting any closer.

End of play tomorrow I have been asked to make a decision on whether we terminate the contractor so they can withhold payment.
              If that's how the place is run it doesn't surprise me it's a bloody mess.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                If that's how the place is run it doesn't surprise me it's a bloody mess.
                Contractor has done two previous pieces of work which after exhaustive tests were late but eventually passed. Always late because of 'oh I forgot to do this, do that' so pushed the testing phases back.

Was bought in to do another 10 day piece of work, with an additional 5 days coverage. He's now taken 27 days and does not look like he will finish this week. Every day for testing the same. Forgets to do something simple which results in loads having to be refreshed 3/4/5 times a day, so testing has to start again. Project has a penalty for non-delivery of milestones on it. If after going over, working late and still making simple mistakes (for example. Oh I dropped a table whoops) got no choice but to hand over to one of the perm guys and end the contract.

Everyone else(permies) delivered in the timescales. Tad embarrassing as the contractor in charge.

Comment

Contractor has done two previous pieces of work which after exhaustive tests were late but eventually passed. Always late because of 'oh I forgot to do this, do that' so pushed the testing phases back.

Was bought in to do another 10 day piece of work, with an additional 5 days coverage. He's now taken 27 days and does not look like he will finish this week. Every day for testing the same. Forgets to do something simple which results in loads having to be refreshed 3/4/5 times a day, so testing has to start again. Project has a penalty for non-delivery of milestones on it. If after going over, working late and still making simple mistakes (for example. Oh I dropped a table whoops) got no choice but to hand over to one of the perm guys and end the contract.

Everyone else(permies) delivered in the timescales. Tad embarrassing as the contractor in charge.
                  You could have a word on the quiet today and tell him if he doesnt up his game right away, he's out.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                    You could have a word on the quiet today and tell him if he doesnt up his game right away, he's out.
                    You know something? I don't think MF is the right man for that job.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      By the sounds of it that quiet word should have been a fortnight ago.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X