• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Riot in Tottenham

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    It's a bit like when you get yer kn0b caught in yer zip. Its a sensitive area for a while, and nobody needs to go anywhere near it.

Give them a few more generations, then we can brag about being decended from Spartacus or boudicca, and swap war stories. Until then - leave it be

Yes, I can understand that it may still be a bit raw for some, especially as equal rights werent obtained until well after the second world war ......

But I still fail to see what they are so sensitive about .....

Oh well ...................

Comment

Perceptions. These issues are oversimplified by both sides.

Bring in a bunch of fairly poor, uneducated and unskilled people and it is likely that most of their grandchildren will be poor and uneducated as it it is quite difficult for anyone to move up in our society. Look at South Wales since the mines went 30 nearly years ago.

Unfortunately, if there are differences of colour there are greater problems. On the one side there is racism but on the other there is the perception that all lack of progress due to social immobility is due to racism and that breeds resentment and makes people more likely to give up and turn to crime. That in turn affects perceptions and makes it more difficult for those who do keep trying. The old negative feedback.

As I said earlier, we would do far better to halt unskilled migration and assist third world countries to make a success of their own societies and avoid all these problems. Eventually our own society will merge back into one but that can only happen if we stop perpetuating the same mistake.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
        Not really National news is it? Bunch of cockney c**ts smash up a bit of their manor and probably improve it a bit in the process. WGAS.
        WHS.

Let them smash it up
        and then not repair it
        for them. Don't tulip on
        your own doorstep and all that.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Except the bits that got smashed may belong to the enterprising and not to the useless welfare sorts that did the smashing.
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Diane feckin Abott.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              WHS.

Let them smash it up
              and then not repair it
              for them. Don't tulip on
              your own doorstep and all that.
              As a lifelong Tottenham fan and regular to the area, WHS.

Feel very sorry for the majority of folks there though that have to live with this tulip. Don't deserve it.
              Wise words from Lammy on R5 this afternoon. Just home he lives up to them.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                Yes, I can understand that it may still be a bit raw for some, especially as equal rights werent obtained until well after the second world war ......

But I still fail to see what they are so sensitive about .....

Oh well ...................
                I said you were being dense or deliberately being ignorant as you are confusing two different places - those European countries with former colonies, and places like the US and Brazil.

There has never been an issue with equal rights in the UK as there was no open state sanctioned discrimination unlike in the US.

Whilst there are people in the UK who are descendants of slaves or had forefathers who came earlier - the vast majority of immigration happened after the second world war from former British colonies and it was voluntary.

People in Tottenham rioting parents, grandparents and great grandparents on the whole didn't suffered state sanctioned discrimination like in the US. Yes they suffered discrimination - there are people alive who you can talk to (and some of them don't look like what you think they should do) but UK governments didn't openly work to prevent them from going to school, university etc with the rest of the population, like they did in the US until the mid-60s.

Whilst there are race issues in the UK a lot of it is mixed into the class system. If you are poor and uneducated no matter what race you are you aren't going to like the police.

However the Met police have done themselves no favours in the past 10 years picking on middle class people and their children especially when they have been on peaceful marches.

BTW I suggest you look up the definition of racism. Oh and slavery apparently still happens in Africa today. I don't know if there are still serfs in Europe though.....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Details on shooting are rather conflicting, we will have to wait and see. Was he yet another black gangsta or a nice peaceful family man? If the latter it does seem a little odd that the only picture even the BBC can find to show is an aggressive gangsta style 2 finger pose.

True the police can be pretty racist, seen a couple of incidents myself but it must be hard to stay positive in the Trident division when you have to deal with black on black shootings on such a regular basis. Some of them don't even seem to make the national news, like yesterday's in West Norwood. I used to live there. Glad I still don't.
                  bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    yesterday's in West Norwood. I used to live there. Glad I still don't.
                    I lived in Crystal Palace for a bit. At the time, the Abbey National in West Norwood was the most robbed bank in the country - I think they closed it in the end.

It's like a lot of London where you get quite affluent areas next door to quite scummy areas.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It turns out the bullet lodged in the police radio was police issue...

Comment

Working...
                      X