• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anachronistic Embarrassment, or Cultural Display?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mason Boyne View Post
    Do you also support the rights of the Loyalists in Northern Ireland to defend themselves against such action?
    I support the right to bare arms, especially the women

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I support the right to bare arms, especially the women

A shapely shoulder is a wonderful thing.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Don't get me wrong - I fully support the right of the Irish people to take up arms to liberate themselves from British occupation, should they decide that is the correct strategy. I just don't think the PIRA was the Irish people, or that its targeting of civilians was a justifiable tactic.
        Completely with you on that one. I have a great deal of respect for those who declared Independence at Easter 1916, then holed up in prominent buildings in Dublin, undoubtedly fully aware of the fate that awaited them.
        Any bombing of civilians was completely disgraceful and morally bankrupt on all fronts for me. Those who fought and died in 1916 would also have renounced such actions wholeheartedly in my opinion too. Cowardly tactics.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

He has a habit of doing that kind of thing. He's read a few history books and goes all romantic and gushing over the auld country.
          Give it up Churchill. Nobody is taking you seriously.

HTH
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Do you also support the rights of the Loyalists in Northern Ireland to defend themselves against such action?
            No - they are attempting to preserve the dominance of their community.

The tragedy of it is (or one of the many tragedies) is that it is a manifestation of a divide and rule tactic. If you look at the republican vs loyalist angle (ignoring for a moment the British state's role), they are fighting over scraps - which community's working class will get better access to housing, industrial jobs (when they existed) etc. A sensible analysis would see that both communities are being shafted by the rulers and owners of industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              No - they are attempting to preserve the dominance of their community.

The tragedy of it is (or one of the many tragedies) is that it is a manifestation of a divide and rule tactic. If you look at the republican vs loyalist angle (ignoring for a moment the British state's role), they are fighting over scraps - which community's working class will get better access to housing, industrial jobs (when they existed) etc. A sensible analysis would see that both communities are being shafted by the rulers and owners of industry.
              With respect I'm not referring to the marching and current rioting which as I'm currently in East Belfast I see first hand.

What I am referring to is your suggestion that it would be perfectly acceptable for the Nationalists to rise up and overthrow the British.

Comment

What I am referring to is your suggestion that it would be perfectly acceptable for the Nationalists to rise up and overthrow the British.
                Give it a couple more generations and it will all be immaterial as there will be a democratic majority available to the Nationalists anyway.
                The whole place was built on a dodgy foundation to begin with, and has been an unviable anomaly from day one. It came about largely due to the threats of violence promised by the Loyalist community, and has been an unfortunate haven for violence and intimidation ever since.
                The sooner it becomes a part of a United Ireland the better, then the influence of the bigots on both sides can be dispersed in amongst rational mainstream attitudes.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Give it a couple more generations and it will all be immaterial as there will be a democratic majority available to the Nationalists anyway.
                  The whole place was built on a dodgy foundation to begin with, and has been an unviable anomaly from day one. It came about largely due to the threats of violence promised by the Loyalist community, and has been an unfortunate haven for violence and intimidation ever since.
                  The sooner it becomes a part of a United Ireland the better, then the influence of the bigots on both sides can be dispersed in amongst rational mainstream attitudes.
                  Ireland can't afford (re)unification and the UK can't afford to continue propping up the economy in Northern Ireland.

Comment

Working...
                  X