• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anachronistic Embarrassment, or Cultural Display?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I can imagine!

We had an ol' one Sr Monica, she smelt of wee. All the time.

We had a Sr Ellen as head nun at primary school, she used to be Sr Malachy when she taught my Dad - I'm not sure if she thought changing her name to Ellen would make her a nicer person, but it didn't work. She was as scary for me as she was for him
    We had a Sr Emmanuel, who had mental health problems. Scary old bat, but actually she loved us all.
    I wear a green top and orange leggings and have no time for this sectarian shit:
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Wolfe Tone...
      Brian Keenan (not sure whether he'd classify himself as republican or nationalist).
      Indeed.
      There are a whole host of them detailed here..................

Protestant Irish nationalists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I am fairly pro-republicanism in whatever country it is mooted. If the majority truly want self-governance then I say let them have it. Broadly speaking.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Indeed.
        There are a whole host of them detailed here..................

Protestant Irish nationalists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I am fairly pro-republicanism in whatever country it is mooted. If the majority truly want self-governance then I say let them have it. Broadly speaking.
        Hmmm, 'republicanism' has very different meanings in Britain, Ireland, U.S.A. and France.

Comment

Hmmm, 'republicanism' has very different meanings in Britain, Ireland, U.S.A. and France.
          I guess I mean the inherent national ability to ensure that you get to play a part, however small, in choosing which collection of homegrown charlatans you hand the reins of power over to.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            We had a Sr Emmanuel, who had mental health problems. Scary old bat, but actually she loved us all.
            I wear a green top and orange leggings and have no time for this sectarian tulip
            I'm with you on that one. I bet there are few who are all green or all orange.

There is no need for it.
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I guess I mean the inherent national ability to ensure that you get to play a part, however small, in choosing which collection of homegrown charlatans you hand the reins of power over to.
              You're rather glossing over the bombing of shopping centres etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                I wear a green top and orange leggings
                Phwoar.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You're rather glossing over the bombing of shopping centres etc.
                  He has a habit of doing that kind of thing. He's read a few history books and goes all romantic and gushing over the auld country.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason Boyne View Post
                    He has a habit of doing that kind of thing. He's read a few history books and goes all romantic and gushing over the auld country.
                    Don't get me wrong - I fully support the right of the Irish people to take up arms to liberate themselves from British occupation, should they decide that is the correct strategy. I just don't think the PIRA was the Irish people, or that its targeting of civilians was a justifiable tactic.

Comment

Don't get me wrong - I fully support the right of the Irish people to take up arms to liberate themselves from British occupation, should they decide that is the correct strategy. I just don't think the PIRA was the Irish people, or that its targeting of civilians was a justifiable tactic.
                      Do you also support the rights of the Loyalists in Northern Ireland to defend themselves against such action?

Comment

Working...
                      X