• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anachronistic Embarrassment, or Cultural Display?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Britain was shaped by the wars which started from the Jacobite Wars. Killiecrankie (1689) made sure that English intentions would crush Scottish independence. Great Britain was created from the events that led on from 1690. The French harbored James after the Boyne and funded the rebellion in 1708, Louis sent 6000 troops to Scotland (they were intercepted).

You then had the risings of 1715 and 1745. Culloden was funded almost primarily through the French (some Scottish taxation). We would all be speaking French if Charlie had been aware that the French were preparing to invade and hadn't turned around at Derby.

All this was with a Hanoverian at the throne. George II was born in Germany for goodness sake, he held the British crown as well as the Duchy of Hannover. He was German, of course he was going to side with Prussia. This is a bit different from WW1.

The Duke of Cumberland's (George II's son and leader of the British at Culloden) godparents were the King and Queen of Prussia (the Queen was his paternal Aunt). If the Stuarts had won in '45 then they would not have sided with the Prussians in '56. It is simple.
    That is one take on events. There are undoubtedly some elements of importance in amongst what you say.
    However, to suggest that we would all be speaking French if Charlie had not turned around at Derby is fanciful to say the least.
    Our Empire, as with all such ventures, was built out of a marriage of ambition, opportunity, and a longing for wealth by ambitious men across all walks of life. Political and Military alike.
    National interests (as well as personal ones) would very quickly have trumped any tenuous familial connections, and has been seen to be the case in a number of similar situations.
    We have never been averse to the removal of Monarchs that could not sniff the wind, and most of them have remained acutely aware of this tradition. Or at least their advisors have kept them in the loop.....before their heads ended up in one.
    For the vast majority of us, it would have made little difference which side had won the Battle of the Boyne. The guys left at the top would still have pulled all the strings, and the outcome would have been largely unchanged.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The history is all very interesting, but the Boyne is a totem for an element of a community that wishes to preserve its hegemony over the local Catholic / nationalist / Irish population, and that asserts this by displaying its power through triumphalist marching.

However, they do apparently have a sense of humour. There is a story (maybe apochryphal) that in the '70's the National Front proposed an alliance with the Orange Order, and the Orange Order sent a black member to the arranged meeting to get the message across. Much as I dislike the Orange Order, I do hope that story is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        The history is all very interesting, but the Boyne is a totem for an element of a community that wishes to preserve its hegemony over the local Catholic / nationalist / Irish population, and that asserts this by displaying its power through triumphalist marching.

However, they do apparently have a sense of humour. There is a story (maybe apochryphal) that in the '70's the National Front proposed an alliance with the Orange Order, and the Orange Order sent a black member to the arranged meeting to get the message across. Much as I dislike the Orange Order, I do hope that story is true.
        I believe they bring their own 'flavour' to the drums.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Is that the Ghanaian Orange Order?

Comment

Is that the Ghanaian Orange Order?
            Splittttttters, it's the Orange Order of Ghana.
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Holy mother of God!!

Ah, they do look happy enough though.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                Holy mother of God!!

That's because they've just beaten up the Irish nuns at the missionary hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  Holy mother of God!!

How's this for a Lodge location then:

Dublin & Wicklow L.O.L. 1313

Comment

That's because they've just beaten up the Irish nuns at the missionary hospital.
                    Some of them nuns can be a bit scary, I can't say I blame them!
                    Bazza gets caught

Comment

How's this for a Lodge location then:

Dublin & Wicklow L.O.L. 1313

Well I never, but then, there are actually a fair few prods around. My home town has a massive prod Cathederal in it (actually I got married in it first time around) I suppose it's not unreasonable to think they'd have their own little clubs.

Isn't there a Catholic version anyway, Knights of Saint someone or other, I'm not too sure, I'll have to google it.
                      Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                      X