• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aspergers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    What really worries me is that I can relate to that.
    No need to get tested.

A mate of mine statements school children as part of her job.

There are cases where she has a talk with the parents. She tells them that giving their child a statement will hinder them due to where they are on the scale i.e. on the mild end where they have already worked out coping mechanisms.

Off course if the child doesn't have helpful, mainly middle class parents they get statemented but then they normally also have much bigger problems.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Well quite. That's why it surprises me!

Unless they use a different mental approach to thinking about indirect or "proxy" relations.
      There is a heck of a lot of research going into just this field right now. A lot of it is being done at Cambridge (I can't remember the name of the guy doing it, but he's the brother of the actor who did the Borat film).
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I don't think selfish actions are fundamentally pointless TBH, they evolved with good reason in much the same way as altruistic ones did.
        It's an anachronism based on the reptilian part of the brain. An evolutionary dead end.
        Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
          It's an anachronism based on the reptilian part of the brain. An evolutionary dead end.
          Evolution isn't some hippy quest for perfect consciousness. It's an arms race. Like most species we compete among ourselves for mates, and any traits which would increase the chance of successful reproduction (like a certain amount of selfishness, but not too much, and a certain amount of altruism, but not to much) will be selected for. If selfishness wasn't useful it wouldn't be so prevalent.

In fact there is a strong argument that altruistic and selfless behavior is ultimately selfish, in that the reason we indulge in behaviors which benefit the group and society is because it ultimately benefits us as individuals. Even in our wildest utopian dreams we imagine a society in which everybody's desires are fulfilled, not a world where desire doesn't exist.

How do you envisage this society of anti lizard people functioning? Why would they bother to live?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Evolution isn't some hippy quest for perfect consciousness.
            I'll recommend this book to you and leave it at that.

Star Maker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Working...
            X