• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bit of common sense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all for legalising prostitution and possibly drugs. Both would be better for society managed and regulated.

Legalising doesn't mean deregulating drugs. It does mean better control on strength & sourcing. Imagine fairtrade heroin.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Imagine fairtrade heroin.
      Well exactly, it would give the farmers in Afghanistan something to look forwards to.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Well exactly, it would give the farmers in Afghanistan something to look forwards to.
        I can just imagine the adverts now............."Up until this initiative, Ahmed was forced to eke out an existence fashioning IEDs out of leftover rusty metalwork, nails, rotting roadkill, and weedkiller. But now he is a respected member
        of "Dope-U-Like". Making agriculture work for you!"

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

This could be just the thing the UK needs to become competitive in the global market again.

Imagine how productive someone smacked up on speed would be!

Also, control the source (we're already in afghanistan so how hard can it be to do a deal with the poppy producers) and we can force the lazy druggie scum into having to work for their fix.

I think this approach to re-humanise production may become a necessity if the machines are going to die off from lack of oil derived fuel in the medium term.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I think the upshot of legalising it is that it will create more tax revenue, and put a few drugs barons out of business.
            Some of us have been saying for a long time that the way to reduce the harm caused by drugs is to take the supply away from the criminals.

Some users will still die but the same can be said for motor vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              But the girls are more likely to be in the profession out of choice, will get paid better & have rights & a legal leg to stand on in case of issues, so yes a win win
              Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              You're living in cloud-cuckoo land.
              In NZ prostitution is legal. The women get employment rights and can join a union.

I don't know any here, and I didn't know any back in the UK, so I don't actually know if they feel less exploited but one would think so.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                BBC News - Global war on drugs has 'failed' say former leaders

The "Global Commission on Drug Policy" calls for decriminalizing drug use. Which of course would open the way for legal distribution & taxation.

Not making criminals out of people who aren't doing any harm to others sounds like a very laudable aim. On the other hand, is there not a chance that once every one is running around off their tits quite a few of them will be doing harm to others? I suppose that would be covered by existing laws though.

I think I am in favour.
                Portugal decriminalized (slightly different to making it completely legal) most drugs 10 years ago, making it a health and social issue rather than a criminal one, and by all accounts it's been a success.

Lots of info via google
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Crazy.

Look at the problems caused by alcohol and multiply that up by all the new users of drugs if they were legal. There are huge health problems associated with many, heart attacks, liver damage, mouth cancer, many psychiatric problems. Check out the major ones.

In addition there is a general effect on motivation, some attribute the problems of Afghanistan and Yemen to widespread Khat chewing and that's a pretty mild drug.

PS Re Portugal experience, not prosecuting users may be good idea but sale most certainly should be prosecuted.
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 2 June 2011, 09:40.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Crazy.

Look at the problems caused by alcohol and multiply that up by all the new users of drugs if they were legal. There are huge health problems associated with many, heart attacks, liver damage, mouth cancer, many psychiatric problems. Check out the major ones.

In addition there is a general effect on motivation, some attribute the problems of Afghanistan and Yemen to widespread Khat chewing and that's a pretty mild drug.

PS Re Portugal experience, not prosecuting users may be good idea but sale most certainly should be prosecuted.
                    But we're not talking about people using drugs, which they do, but the legal status.

And as for the harm, you don't multiply alcohol's harm. Most drugs are less harmful than tobacco and alcohol, and much of the harm that does come from drugs is related to the legal status. Heroin for example:

- No problems with impurities
                    - No problems with miscalculating strength
                    - No problems associated with IV usage, if heroin is legally available in cigarette form
                    - No problems associated with criminal network of import and distribution
                    - No pressure from dealers
                    - Legitimate market for Afghan poppy farmers

It's a super-win situation. There would still be problems with addiction and there are still some health issues, but they already exist and are multiplied by the factors listed above.

But as has been pointed out, The Daily Mail would freak out. If they would stick to their important work in cancer cures and MMR vaccine risks, we'd all be better off.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Crazy.

If you look at the info coming out of Portugal over the last ten years overall use has fallen, deaths from drug related HIV has fallen and far more people are seeking help and treatment for drug related conditions.

Quick summary in Scientific American here
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X