• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crazy time (starting contracting)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy time (starting contracting)

Ok i'm working for a lovely company in London city but I'm fed up of being crapped on all the time. I've got 6 years of SQL Server exp and about 4 years of .Net/C#/ASP.Net/Winforms from day one. I've got an "old" MCSD and have done tons of private stuff in the past. I have a decent CV and education.

I've just registered a Limited company via the contractor uk web site and am about to start hitting the agencies. I've got plenty of business-running relatives to advise me (phew!).

Anyone got any suggestions or advice on handling agencies?? I really don't want to go near the aforementioned S3 ones.

Cheers all!
    Last edited by cswd; 27 April 2006, 13:19.

Advice-seeker

Seems like the whole world has gone contracting mad. When I started. some 10 years ago, the ratio of perm : cont was something like 4:1, now it's more like 1:1 !
    There are and always will be good and bad agents, even good among the bad and bad among the good ones, so no stereotyping (S3, CP, CF, etc)
    Anyway, 3 basic contracting skills are:
    1. Learning to negotiate your rate. Don't get too excited and drop your pants.
    2. Read your contract carefully and raise any objections BEFORE you sign it.
    3. Make sure you always get paid on time through agent/umbrella.
    4. Always be professional in your dealings with agents/clients/etc.
    Most of the issues that new contractors come to discuss on this forum arise from the above 4 points, especially after they've done something and later regretted it. Same as going to a hotel, staying in the room, paying the bill, leaving a tip and the minute you walk out of the door start complaining. TOO LATE !

Comment

Don't mislead the guy, he's just starting out...

Actually, there are no good agents.

BEWARE

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
        Ok i'm working for a lovely company in London city but I'm fed up of being crapped on all the time.
        What makes you think you will not get 'crapped on all the time' as a contractor ?

You will be 'crapped on' (I can assure you) the only difference being that the additional cash and flexibility should compensate for it more than as a permie.

There are a few decent agents out there, IMHO they tend to work for the smaller agencies, however ultimately their margin is all they care about.

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
          Just out of interest, what is the likelyhood of (on a 3 month contract) getting something negotiated that is 50% up front. I'm not sure how the payment usually works between the agencies, your company and the clients. When I've done private stuff before, I always ask for 50% up front and 50% on completion (not sign off as that usually costs more!). Help appreciated!!
          On an agency contract, I'd say nil. They don't understand the concept. You would be paid weekly/monthly. If you were direct, then very possibly, but you would likely be on worse payment terms (30 or 60 days etc).
          At least with an agency contract they factor the invoices so you still get paid in about 7 days whatever happens. If it's a large sum, you can always approach an agency to handle your invoice processing (basically factoring) for a smallish fee (say 5-6%) so you get the money quicker.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

>find an accountant that isn't a theiving bastard

Might I suggest Darren (www.1staccountancy.biz) who posts on here sometimes. He's a Geordie, but don't hold that aginst him, he's suffered enough.

I should point out I'm not on a real kickback, only a virtual one.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread6425.html
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You can also try SJD, offices all over the place and seem very professional at what they do. Folks who dont use Darren seem to use them, and vise versa

They do offer a referal reward so if you like 'em tell 'em DaveB at Yewtree Services sent you
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Too slow with your again Dave.

Comment

Hey, as someone else on here once said,

Contracting, Every Little Helps
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

And since nobody has said it yet, read the PCG guide for First Timers at www.pcg.org.uk. Knowing what you don't know is almost as important as what you do know.

The other thing to watch is that no matter how good you are in your permie roles, as of now you are a novice to the market. Have fun!
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X