• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dune Remake Cancelled Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I'm still hacked off about the planned Rendezvous with Rama film being canned.

It would have been out next year.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The mini-series was good. Had enough time to actually tell the story properly, not just pick out the main plot points and hope the viewer had read the books to fill in the blanks for themselves.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post

It may be that certain books can't be fully represented in film, although I thought Lynch got a lot right.

I wonder if Lord of the Rings will ever be remade?
        In 50 years they'll probably be able to remake any film you can think of, in holographic 3D and with the same actors, computer generated.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Dune is currently being shown on Channel 5
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Probably a sound commercial decision. It was always going to Bene Tleilaxu tank.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              Dune is currently being shown on Channel 5

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                In 50 years they'll probably be able to remake any film you can think of, in holographic 3D and with the same actors, computer generated.
                And it still won't be as good as the book.

I've never read any of the Dune stuff, nor seen the film. I knew a lot of geologists at university and they all seemed to have the books. Of course the film hadn't been made then.

I never met anybody who liked the Dune books and thought the film was any good.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was a film that was as good as a film as the book was good as a book. I still prefer the book to the film, but I think the important thing is not to try to replicate the book in film, but to actually adapt the damn thing so that it's a good film, and let the devil take the book to hell in a handcart. That's more likely to result in aficionados of the book adjudging the film to be a good film of the book. After all, they liked the book because it was a good book, so they'll like the film if it's a good film. A film that's just the book copied word-for-word into a different and unfitting medium, or a film that ends up being a completely different story with the same name, are unlikely to be any good to man or beast.

Comment

I thought this was a pretty good interpretation. The De-horrendous film is tulipe.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I never met anybody who liked the Dune books and thought the film was any good.

The film has it's flaws but IMO the really good stuff out shines the tulip
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X