• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mid East Crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Absolutely agree with you, the whole fact that it does aspire to Western values is why I am Pro-Israeli. I wasn't using an example of the destruction as 'an eye for an eye', more the big boy simply taking back what was his.

However that gets back to the argument that it never was Israeli land in the first place.

It's an argument that won't be solved. Both sides will still fight about it, neither will be happy with what they see as a capitulation.
    I think that if sides are looking for a solution, part pf an answer can be found in Northern Ireland. The IRA demanded unification of Ireland, but peace was achievable not by meeting the demand, but by addressing the real cause / fuel of the insurgency / terrorist campaign, which lay (I suggest) in the Catholic working class population's (perceived or real) lack of civil rights and access to housing and jobs on an equal basis as the Protestan working class. Solve that and sort out policing and unification was no longer a 'deal-breaking' issue.

I suspect the same is true in Israel and Palestine. Hamas' rhetoric will be meaningless if Palestinians has a real independent state - they won't be interested in destroying Israel. There will need to be a financial settlement for dis-possessed refugees on all sides, but I expect the peace dividend will largely cover that. However, I think that squeezing the Palestinians so that elements turn to Hamas (due to the failure of Fatah) suits Israeli hard-liners very well and gices them the space to continue making inroads into illegally occupied land.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      "The gay capital of the Middle East"
      A kind of Mecca, then?

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post

The Israeli's won't give up that land and will not allow a Arab state to form. This is gonna be crap for a loooong time me thinks.
        This is what the next wars will be fought about:

ICE Cases: Litani River Dispute

Greeks eye Israeli gas reserves - UPI.com

In the next decade as well. My prediction.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          "The gay capital of the Middle East"
          They were quite happy, yes.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            I think that if sides are looking for a solution, part pf an answer can be found in Northern Ireland. The IRA demanded unification of Ireland, but peace was achievable not by meeting the demand, but by addressing the real cause / fuel of the insurgency / terrorist campaign, which lay (I suggest) in the Catholic working class population's (perceived or real) lack of civil rights and access to housing and jobs on an equal basis as the Protestan working class. Solve that and sort out policing and unification was no longer a 'deal-breaking' issue.
            Don't bring N.Ireland into this, the thread will kick off big time.

9/11 brought peace to N.Ireland, that's all I'll say.

Comment

I can't see a war there - the Israeli's will just take it. Is there any army in the Middle East that can take them on. I don't think there is.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I wonder if there is a map of the Eastern Mediterranean are on the Internet showing the overlap of all the ultra-nationalist movments:

Greater Greece ('Our capital, Constantinople')
                Greater Israel
                Greater Serbia
                Greater Albania
                Greater Macedonia
                Greater Syria
                Greater no doubt many more

Comment

You couldn't make up this one if you tried:

Rep Peter King, IRA supporter, wants to hold hearings on radical islam « Views Across the Pond

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    I can't see a war there - the Israeli's will just take it. Is there any army in the Middle East that can take them on. I don't think there is.
                    The problem lies with the Arabs not knowing when they're beaten, 'Allahu Akbar' and all that.

Syria and Iran are spoiling for another fight with Israel, but they won't do anything without the Arab league. Israel annexing part of Lebanon will cause that.

The problem you have is that Turkey is slowly discovering that the EU wants nothing to do with it and so is engaging quite openly with the Arab league.

Comment

Pish

Comment

Working...
                      X