• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cameron: State multiculturalism has failed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    As for integration - any chance of improving the national anthem to something other than praise for a person who was just lucky to be born into the right family?
    And that would help solve problem with those who choose to blow themselves up amongst civilians?

IMHO those who wish to live in this country have to accept some basic values like those Cameron referred to - it is a rather reasonable expectation that should not even require special action by PM.

Comment

any chance of improving the national anthem to something other than praise for a person who was just lucky to be born into the right family?
      Off topic, but we totally agree on that one anyway. We should have the world's first heavy rock national anthem. Or Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood. Brill.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        And that would help solve problem with those who choose to blow themselves up amongst civilians?

IMHO those who wish to live in this country have to accept some basic values like those Cameron referred to - it is a rather reasonable expectation that should not even require special action by PM.
        Quite, it would be like us going to Saudi, opening a butchers and expecting them to change their religion so they'd start buying our pork sausages
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          As for integration - any chance of improving the national anthem to something other than praise for a person who was just lucky to be born into the right family?
          "Rebellious Scots to crush"

It is not an anthem to me and I will be 2 fingering to anyone who sings it to me tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Here is the full text which appears to be accurately reported in the press. Maybe some would like to tell us exactly which sentences they disagree with.

New Statesman - Full text: David Cameron's Munich speech on segregation, radicalisation and Islamic extremism

He goes out of his way to state he is referrring to extremists, either terrorists or those who reject our society's secular and liberal values and not to moderate Muslims. So, once again, the objectors appear to be against the idea of ever addressing the problems at all, of letting the radical groups act as they wish, of tarring any reference to objectionable viewpoints on women, non muslims or imposition of Shariah law as some baseless phobia.

It is precisely this nonsense, the fear that nothing will be done to address the real concerns of those who have every right to a nation and culture of their own, like anyone else in the world, that fuels predudice against the moderate and decent Muslims.
            Here's a bit I don't like: 'A passively tolerant society says to its citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone.'
            He appears to be saying that people who obey the law in a free country should not be 'left alone.' What does he suggest we do instead of 'leaving him alone'? The problem he seems to want to address is that of extremist ideology and terrorism, which is fine, but he's rounding on multi-culturalism and lack of integration. In my experience the British Chinese community does not particularly integrate, but nobody is bothered about that. My white British next door neighbour keeps himself to himself and he has every right to do so - I leave him alone.

Comment

Comment

Act of Succession Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  In my experience the British Chinese community does not particularly integrate, but nobody is bothered about that..
                  They just want to make money and have a good life like the rest of us, they don't go around putting on suicide vests and trying blowing up any foreigners they can see
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Here's a bit I don't like: 'A passively tolerant society says to its citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone.'
                    He appears to be saying that people who obey the law in a free country should not be 'left alone.' What does he suggest we do instead of 'leaving him alone'? The problem he seems to want to address is that of extremist ideology and terrorism, which is fine, but he's rounding on multi-culturalism and lack of integration. In my experience the British Chinese community does not particularly integrate, but nobody is bothered about that. My white British next door neighbour keeps himself to himself and he has every right to do so - I leave him alone.
                    Excellent points. That's the contradictory nature of what was said by Cameron. If he was referring to a particular community i.e. Pakistani then I know for a fact they don't represent Islam in any way or form in fact their culture is actually anti-islamic. Remember that Muslims come from all backgrounds - Malaysian, Iranian, Arab, Asian (Indian and Pakistani), North African, White, East European even Chinese. So how can one come and group all these people together and label them all under one category. There is such a vast difference in beliefs and culture. It is somewhat reminiscent of what happened to the Jews in the early 1900s. Cameron has knowingly started what seems to be an objective of isolating Muslims further.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      Religion is just a name tag, unless you actually meet the people on the ground you won't know what they like and even if they are bad you can't blame the religion especially when there are 100 different interpretations and belief systems.
                      Which is what he said.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X