• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evangelical Christians?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutty by definition in my view. Broad moral principals from religion are fair enough, even us rabid atheists can't object to many major Christian ideals, but once people insist that the written word is right and cannot be challenged that's where the real problems start.

Why islam is such utter backward crap, it is almost taboo to challenge the origins of the Koran and they blow each other apart just on the interpretations. That said, the fundamentalists do have a sort of logic on their side. Either a text is the word of god or it isn't, once you start saying some bits are and some aren't or applying different human interpretations who is to say where god's word ends and where man's begins?

My sister in law is a lovely Christian, all tolerance - homosexuals should not be condemned because god made them etc. But if good intentions are enough, what is the point of religion at all?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      The belief that all non-christians will go to hell kind of suggests so, I guess.
      Many would say Christianity doesn't claim that either of course.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If Christians really believe us atheists are going to go to hell then surely Christian charity says they must enlighten us at all costs. Where are the thumbscrews?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          That said, the fundamentalists do have a sort of logic on their side. Either a text is the word of god or it isn't, once you start saying some bits are and some aren't or applying different human interpretations who is to say where god's word ends and where man's begins?
          You're entirely right. My church totally agrees with you on this.

My sister in law is a lovely Christian, all tolerance - homosexuals should not be condemned because god made them etc. But if good intentions are enough, what is the point of religion at all?
          Again, we're agreed I think... albeit from opposite sides of the fence. In my view it's not really a religion if it's a bunch of human-inspired ethics. That's a personal philosophy, to me religion implies some external "something" (I don't know if that's how religion is defined strictly). If there's nothing more to it than human words, it has no real authority. Of course that's where our agreement ends.

Comment

This thread has got way too many people agreeing with each other, ffs - that's not CUK way, REPENT!!!

Comment

If Christians really believe us atheists are going to go to hell then surely Christian charity says they must enlighten us at all costs. Where are the thumbscrews?
              That's WHY they do all the megaphones and missionary work and alpha courses and what-not, which many find as annoying as thumbscrews - there are none so determined as those who KNOW they are right .

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Many would say Christianity doesn't claim that either of course.
                Many? Not many Christians would say that.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

That's what Gandhi said. But if it's more effective to talk to your atheistic mates in the pub than standing around with a megaphone annoying Minestrone, then that's the means you should use, I would have thought. Mind you, historically, it was through street preaching that the Sally Army and the Methodists (among others) got their start. So perhaps annoying Minestrone is just a desirable side-effect. Maybe both have their place in the evangelical toolset.

Alpha course... apparently the messianic Jews have their own. It's called the Aleph course.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                    Many? Not many Christians would say that.
                    It depends what you count as "a Christian". I would agree with you, but many people who would describe themselves as Christian do not fit my definition, which in my eyes is the biblical definition. And others have their own "biblical definition", from mainstream churches to radical groups who think their little group are the only ones doing it right.

For instance don't they act like everyone is going to Heaven in a C of E funeral? I can't imagine them doing otherwise somehow, they'd lose a lot of business!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Yes it is. At least, Jesus said so and I'll take his definition over yours.

edit: It's about both, I mean. Personal belief too because it's about individual choice, not culture or what religion your family is.
                      Jesus gave St Peter the job of running the Church, if you want to follow the teachings of Jesus follow the direct lineage of that Church.

Comment

Working...
                      X