• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited company expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited company expenses

Hi all,

I have just started a limited company as an IT contractor and I was wondering what kind of expenses I can claim ? apparantly there are lots and I'm well aware of the obvious (travel, food etc), but is there anything else i.e. rent for the room in a house, gas, electric, water, internet). I left the umbrellas as they were charging silly amounts of money, but I still want to be better of so any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

You can get relief on rent boys. MPs are famous for doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      You can get relief on rent boys. MPs are famous for doing it.
      It's essential that when you go to a rent boy, you remember to ask for a receipt.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If just alternative to hotel, rent is ok, plus reasonable expenses like cleaning, electric etc (not rates for some reason or at least that used to be the case). Best to download booklets 480 & 4980 from IR websites, they have most of it.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

what is a rent boy ?

Comment

Originally posted by jag943
            what is a rent boy ?
            You're not going to get any sense when you post a question like this on the General board instead of Account/Legal.

But after that reply you probably don't deserve anything better.

Ask [email protected] - he'll be able to answer all of your questions...

..or get yourself a decent accountant.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by jag943
              Hi all,

I have just started a limited company as an IT contractor and I was wondering what kind of expenses I can claim ? apparantly there are lots and I'm well aware of the obvious (travel, food etc), but is there anything else i.e. rent for the room in a house, gas, electric, water, internet). I left the umbrellas as they were charging silly amounts of money, but I still want to be better of so any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks
              There's an expense called 'umbrella' costs. You can claim against the price of an umbrella if you get caught in a downpour - but only if you can prove you were on your way to or from work. Make sure it's black though - because it looks more businesslike. A bright colour looks unbusinesslike and Gordo might conclude that this is a private use umbrella too and you could come seriously unstuck and open to an IR investigation if you need to send it off to your accountant as evidence. Some dodgy accountants might even encourage you to claim for shampoo too if your hair got wet struggling to get the thing open, and and some even dodgier ones even allow an electricity allowance for using the washing machine and tumble dryer if your clothes got wet . Avoid these accountants like the plague. Only the black brolly is an allowable expense.

There's lot of umbrella companies that can give you advice on this IR approved dispensation.
              Last edited by Denny; 19 February 2006, 18:17.

Comment

see what I mean?

[snork.. good one Denny... ]
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                  It's essential that when you go to a rent boy, you remember to ask for a receipt.
                  Don't forget to leave him a deposit

Comment

This is obviously a wind-up. Nice one, Spod.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X