• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Philosophy v Physics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    You think humans, or specifically their emotions, are beyond the realms of science?
    How did you get that from what I said? I'm not dismissing the possibility every aspect of our brain/behaviour can be understood through science, I was specifically talking about theories that try to explain where emotions come from. Trying to shoehorn everything under "evolution" makes me think of someone jumping up and down on a suitcase to get it to close, then smugly saying "look, it all fits".
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Ah OK. This where it will go downhill a bit. I can only frame my response in terms of what is currently known (or research in the pipeline).None of us can extrapolate to the degree required to answer your question.
      You could think of a show stopper. Where is it to come from? There's nothing unphysical about humans or their emotions IMO. And emotions aren't limited to humans.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        How did you get that from what I said? I'm not dismissing the possibility every aspect of our brain/behaviour can be understood through science, I was specifically talking about theories that try to explain where emotions come from. Trying to shoehorn everything under "evolution" makes me think of someone jumping up and down on a suitcase to get it to close, then smugly saying "look, it all fits".
        I was just asking for clarification!

Comment

Artificial Intelligence.

The alternative name of physics is Natural Philosophy. It is impossible to study science without studying ethics (it isn't somewhere Katie Price lives btw )

I imagine the answer you want is logic, though it might be argued that logic is the domain of mathematics rather than philosophy, and its roots more difficult to disentangle as philosophy was early science. Then the navel gazing started, holding back scientific progress.
          You're both probably right but I was thinking of Ontology.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Agree with Timberwolf's early comment.

We can construct as many moral and philosophical ideas as we like but if they don't square with observed reality about human nature they will not work. That is not to say we simply do everything that comes naturally (if we did that we would probably be eating our step children) but when possible we should always construct society according to natural needs and not unrealistic intellectual ideas.

We have natural priorities of self, family, tribe, those like us. We have a natural sense of fairness and empathy and resent it when we are forced to give to others who give nothing although able to do so.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You could think of a show stopper. Where is it to come from? There's nothing unphysical about humans or their emotions IMO. And emotions aren't limited to humans.
              Didn't understand the first bit about the show stopper.
              Emotions may well be limited to humans or not exist at all. We just don't know.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Didn't understand the first bit about the show stopper.
                Emotions may well be limited to humans or not exist at all. We just don't know.
                Have you been boozing? What do you mean emotions may not exist? We define them to exist! You mean in animals other than humans? They are also exhibited in animals, just look at our closest cousins to see emotions. Love, fear, anger and others.

Comment

Have you been boozing? What do you mean emotions may not exist? We define them to exist! You mean in animals other than humans? They are also exhibited in animals, just look at our closest cousins to see emotions. Love, fear, anger and others.
                  Nope, haven't been boozing. Just because we define emotions it doesn't mean they exist.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I was just asking for clarification!
                    Sorry, just on high troll alert with these kind of topics

Comment

Has it been definitively proved animals have emotions rather than blind reactions? I know it's been an are of research in the past, did they 'solve' it? It's certainly easy to anthropomorphise, for instance your cat coming for a cuddle but actually it just wants your body heat, but that doesn't rule out emotions. It wasn't that long ago people commonly thought animals couldn't feel pain!

Comment

Working...
                      X