• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Philosophy v Physics"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Which half?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Oh come on. Be fair. He's at least half witty.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Ironic that d000gh, SAS has pretty much described every post you've made on this forum.
    Your level of wit makes me look like Shakespeare. Nice of you to drop by, though.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And as a quick quiz, what area of computer science relates directly to philosophy?*

*Gibbon can tell me if my answer's wrong, but I don't think it is.
    I would say stuff like the Godels theorems and Turings work on the halting problem, asking and answering questions about what is provable and computable, are as much philosophy as anything else.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Give it a rest with trying to be deep. It's obvious you don't know what the fook you are talking about, so you're just coming over as a pretentious knob.

HTH.
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Nominate for most ironic post of the week.
    Ironic that d000gh, SAS has pretty much described every post you've made on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Give it a rest with trying to be deep. It's obvious you don't know what the fook you are talking about, so you're just coming over as a pretentious knob.

HTH.
    Sasguru is right, most of you haven't a clue what Philosophy is and how science developed, people are just parroting out of context passages from a book or some article. It's cringeworthy seeing people way out of their depth, deluded about their level of knowledge.

Cue pathetic attempts at insult to prove my point.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's obvious you don't know what the fook you are talking about, so you're just coming over as a pretentious knob.
    Nominate for most ironic post of the week.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

HTH.
    hierarchies and attributes aren't deep, you mong. every developer knows the difference between a primary key and a label

stick to things you know something about , like er...teeth.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    and why are they insisting on a hierarchy when it should be attributes ?

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    and why are they insisting on a hierarchy when it should be attributes ?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    As I sit here, looking at the screen, I get a beautiful insight into the way philosophy and computing interact and are related.

Why am I here ?
    Is this really what its all about ?
    Is there a higher purpose ?
    Shall I have my second boiled egg now ?

Why not.
    Yes and/or no.
    No and/or yes.
    Yes, before it gets cold.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    As I sit here, looking at the screen, I get a beautiful insight into the way philosophy and computing interact and are related.

Why am I here ?
    Is this really what its all about ?
    Is there a higher purpose ?
    Shall I have my second boiled egg now ?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You're both probably right but I was thinking of Ontology.
    I was thinking of computability.

There are things that science can't currently explain. Quantum Theory for example. QED is great for calculations. But it doesn't actually explain what's going on.

Anything that emerges from chaotic systems, may well be unexplainable. What exactly is so special about 3.7 (Period doubling bifurcations). Emotions, morality may be emergent phenomena.

Of course, you may say that these will eventually be explainable by science. But that's a philosophical perspective. You can only prove something is explainable by providing an explanation. (Echos of the Halting Problem there). And even if you have an explanation, you can get into an infinite regression of "why?".

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    I thought that physics was an evolutionary branch of philosophy (if I remember Sophie's world correctly).
    Historically, there was only philosophy.
    All other science branches were seen to be sub-areas of philosophy.

At least this was the picture with the ancient greeks.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    'Looking happy' could be a human thing sure, but that wasn't my example. Is happiness reserved for us? Who knows. I suspect not, as this is the reward for doing something right, IMO and it seems to make sense for the reward to be present for other species too. Smiling, I guess, expresses this for others to appreciate and may be limited to social species, or us alone.

What is love but a mechanism to bond partners and rear offspring? Is that love exists in other species a contentious issue? Do we find it hard to accept that other animals can feel 'our' emotions too?
    Until recently in western society and still in many parts of the world and indeed in many of our ethnic minorities love has got nothing to do with it. If the partners grow to love each other then thats a bonus.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X