• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kindle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Yeah im going to fart about a charity shop looking for a book I want, 1-100 chance of finding. Books are all about the words, reading a book from paper or screen makes no difference to the literature.. I can read a book in a day or two, I could have read a book by the time it is delivered. So by the time I buy 10 books I have paid for my kindle, it's a no-brainer really. Unless you like to waste money, time, trees etc...

Maybe you should go to the charity shop and look for some books on logic and reasoning.
    Open your mind and read another book while waiting for the the special one to arrive. Do you really need instant gratification when reading.

As to your fatuous pseudo green arguments do you really think there is any credible argument that a plastic/metal/silicon/plastic gizmo with some fairly nasty chemical battery is a good green option?

Logic and reasoning.... thats good coming from you (see above)
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
      Open your mind and read another book while waiting for the the special one to arrive. Do you really need instant gratification when reading.

As to your fatuous pseudo green arguments do you really think there is any credible argument that a plastic/metal/silicon/plastic gizmo with some fairly nasty chemical battery is a good green option?

Logic and reasoning.... thats good coming from you (see above)
      Hmm a bit of plastic with a tiny battery vs 100's of books, surely even someone with limited mental capacity can work out which uses less resources.

"More specifically, they say that the Kindle can produce a potential savings of 1,074 kg of CO2 if it replaces three books a month for four years, or a whopping 26,098 kg of CO2 if the Kindle DX is used to its fullest capacity. They also found that the Kindle would still break even if it replaced just 22.5 books over its lifespan"

From what I can glean from your posts you could really do with some basic reasoning skills, but alas you will have to wait a few days or even more with he snow before you are enlightened.
      Last edited by kandr; 30 November 2010, 22:27.

Comment

Sockie fight sockie fight!!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Open your mind
          Good argument from someone close-minded to the whole concept of electronic readers

You're really that dumb? One piece of nasty plastic/silicon/etc, Vs 100+ physical books? You realise they use lots of nasty chemicals making that clean white paper, right? Maybe in you mind they get a happy tree, saw it up and it magically becomes paper but it has to be chemically processed, bleached, etc. Not to mention Ink. And then all the petrochemicals associated with transport.

As for cost... I do like the feel of a 2nd-hand paperback, but I'd lose an hour to walk into town and check the bookshops. That's maybe £50 of lost income. Maybe I save £5/book compared to new/ebook. That means I have to buy 10 to break even... not to mention cluttering the house up and the fact I'll rarely find 10 books I want.

Finally, travelling. Some of us who don't need to use our finger to read (poor MF, how will his reading be affected?) can get through a book in a day or two with long commutes or on holiday. Packing 5 books in your case is not practical.

Oh dear Wod. You just got made to look stupid by kandr.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
            Hmm a bit of plastic with a tiny battery vs 100's of books, surely even someone with limited mental capacity can work out which uses less resources.

"More specifically, they say that the Kindle can produce a potential savings of 1,074 kg of CO2 if it replaces three books a month for four years, or a whopping 26,098 kg of CO2 if the Kindle DX is used to its fullest capacity. They also found that the Kindle would still break even if it replaced just 22.5 books over its lifespan"

From what I can glean from your posts you must be reading Harry Potter or Mr Men books.
            Bravo! Such fine examples of "Logic and reasoning"

"they say" and name calling? Plus regurgitation of marketing bulltulip and made up numbers.

The stage is yours mate - Fill your boots. I am going to talk to grown ups.
            Jim is a Jedi! - Dara

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Oh dear Wod. You just got made to look stupid by kandr.
              Happens to everyone, eventually.

Comment

"they say" and name calling? Plus regurgitation of marketing bulltulip and made up numbers.
                Whereas you have provided solid facts? No, you've provided your own even more unverified opinions without even trying to justify them. You should get yourself involved in more global-warming threads, you'd fit right in.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The stage is yours mate - Fill your boots. I am going to talk to grown ups.
                  OK ill take that as you giving up, I was expecting more of a fight, disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    think there is a place for both.
                    Fair enough - I can't argue with that.
                    I am pretty much a luddite though (typing onto my Laptop).
                    Good argument from someone close-minded to the whole concept of electronic readers
                    I recommend reading the thread first.

plus
                    Don't they use any of those nasty chemicals making those clean and fluffy plastics? and Kimbles don't need petrochemicals in their transport?

If you want a Kimble go and buy one - but if you honestly think that buying them is in anyway green I pity you.
                    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara

Comment

Whereas you have provided solid facts? No, you've provided your own even more unverified opinions without even trying to justify them. You should get yourself involved in more global-warming threads, you'd fit right in.

I have merely challenged some very iffy statements.
                      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara

Comment

Working...
                      X