• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Community Speed Watch busybodies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    What people should do on seeing these people is to instantly stop their car, call the emergency services and say that you have reason to believe that someone is pointing a gun at you. That might stop them quickly.
    So not only are you potentially stopping someone who is preventing speeding and accidents, but you are also tying up emergency services and stopping someone who might need it at that moment. Why don't you just get a gun and shoot some innocent people.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      Trying to prevent burglary and anti-social behaviour - fantastic.
      Snooping on people stepping on the cracks in the pavement - poor.
      So speeding is not important then?
      Personally I think it depends on the road... if it's one people often act like idiots, or has a past record of accidents, then it's a good idea.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I should imagine the local police are as frustrated with them as you are. The police can't take any action against anyone when the information provided is not validated properly. I assume it would be dealt with as a complaint and take even more police work to follow up.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I should imagine the local police are as frustrated with them as you are. The police can't take any action against anyone when the information provided is not validated properly. I assume it would be dealt with as a complaint and take even more police work to follow up.
          It’s the police who are supplying the speed guns and training. I doubt if any prosecution would make it through the courts but some daft f%^ers will pay the fixed penalty
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            A very good idea. Speed limits are there for a reason.
            Yes, they're set for the lowest common denominator for all the myopic muppets and take no account of clear, empty roads with good visibility (I'm talking theoretical tulip here, of course...).
            Whilst I have no argument with sticking to town speed limits, I am baffled by some 40's and 50's on what looks like perfectly good country roads.
            Seeing anything under a 60 just makes me more alert to any potential risks.
            I also think that the local councils have taken Govt. money to implement "Safety Measures" such as reduced speed limits, without any evidence or rationale behind them - just money.
            Call me cynical...
            Last edited by Dearnla; 15 November 2010, 16:22. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
              Yes, they're set for the lowest common denominator for all the myopic muppets and take no account of clear, empty roads with good visibility (I'm talking theoretical tulip here, of course...).
              Actually they do. Those are the highest speed you should drive not your target speed, in lower visibility and so on you should go slower.

Or so the rules say. In practice I agree that on an empty motorway, it's a bit silly.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Speeding also uses more fuel, which in turn generates more CO2.

More CO2 will lead to the deaths of millions of people through catastrophic rise in temperatures and sea levels, leaving the World almost completely uninhabitable except by jellyfish and sea snakes.

So in a way these busybodies are saving the human race.

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
                  I am baffled by some 40's and 50's on what looks like perfectly good country roads.
                  50mph makes sense in some cases as it actually raises the speed trucks and vans can do (they're limited to 40 on NSL roads).
                  As everyone is now doing the same speed, everyone can travel without having to overtake (unless you're impatient or stuck behind an aygo driver)
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

We've had these bloody nuisances in the villages round here for a few years. Silly old busybody farts with nowt better to do as you say.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                      So not only are you potentially stopping someone who is preventing speeding and accidents, but you are also tying up emergency services and stopping someone who might need it at that moment. Why don't you just get a gun and shoot some innocent people.
                      Wrong. I would not be tying up somone potentially speeding but I might be stopping an accident. As people tend to brake suddenly when confronted with a speed camera, whether they're speeding or not, which in turn may well cause an RTA. I always thought that it was illegal to take the law into your own hands therefore what I am advocating is reporting a criminal.

I was driving through the UK a couple of weeks back and went onto that monstrosity, the M25 but to my delight the traffic, during rush hour was pretty much free flowing and most people were doing more than the national speed limit. The only problem came about was when those overhead signs came on putting the spped limit down to 60 and then 50. There was utter chaos as people braked and a lovely traffic jam started. It is my opinion that people who make these decisions travel by train and are so frustrated by their journey that they take it out on car drivers who can sit in the privacy of their own vehicle, listen to the radio in peace, have a fag, whatever and arrive at their destination in a better state of mind. Now if public transport in the UK was on a par with a lot of other civilised European countries then that might not happen.

Personally I drove to work at a speed thats illegal in the UK and then took out my AK47 and shot the receptionist because she didn't smile at me this morning.
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X