• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Community Speed Watch busybodies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Protection Act. What are they doing with the information? Get the police to remove the images from their cameras like they seem to do with other photographers at the moment
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I should imagine the local police are as frustrated with them as you are. The police can't take any action against anyone when the information provided is not validated properly. I assume it would be dealt with as a complaint and take even more police work to follow up
      Actually it's backed by the police who provide the equipment and anyone clocked gets a written warning from them. The missus got one. Check out Speedwatch on Google.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Speedwatch:

This web site is the unofficial web site of the Speedwatch volunteers in North West Cambridgeshire, Ramsey and St. Ives area. This web site does not represent the views of the police, council, government or any official body or person.
        This is a private web site, managed by some (not all) of the volunteers.
        Photography - sometimes we will photograph the number plate, this is to assist us in identifying the correct index number onsite, with vehicle make & model, the image being immediately deleted.
        - I would ask for proof of this before paying any fine which comes about from this initiative

From the Police:

The registered owner of any vehicle seen exceeding the speed limit is sent an advisory letter from their local neighbourhood policing team, explaining that speeding is unacceptable to the local community.
        Can motorists be prosecuted?
        No these checks are about educating motorists.
        So really its just an excuse for busybodies
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So you drive like a tool-faced Mr Toad through my otherwise quiet village with no regard for the speed limit because your right to do whatever speed you damn well like overrides the law of the land and any concept of decency and you're complaining because plod sends you a letter asking you nicely to pack in? FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Speeding also uses more fuel, which in turn generates more CO2.
            Too low speed limits and the traffic starts clogging up and grinding to a halt, which uses more CO2.

I see this every day on the M25, where some officious muppet puts up a 40 MPH speed limit on the gantries every morning for no apparent reason.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              So you drive like a tool-faced Mr Toad through my otherwise quiet village with no regard for the speed limit because your right to do whatever speed you damn well like overrides the law of the land and any concept of decency and you're complaining because plod sends you a letter asking you nicely to pack in? FFS.
              WHS.

Comment

So you drive like a tool-faced Mr Toad through my otherwise quiet village with no etc
                If experience round here is any guide there is a difference between what you probably think they are doing and what they are actually doing.

In our local villages there are two major danger spots where kids cross the road to school, both near dangerous junctions or bends. They should be monitoring motorists approaching those but they do not, they hang around to catch people not slowing down fast enough as they enter the village although the chances of an accident there are very small, there being fenced open plots on either side. Another major factor is clearly the areas where they can sit on chairs in the sun and have a chat, unlike those more dangerous areas where they would have to stand. You only see them on sunny warm days, never cold foggy ones. This is more of social event for those with nothing better to do.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                  Maybe these people know people, who have been killed or injured in road accidents related to speeding. There is a reason for speed limits.
                  No, they are whinging busybodies who complain at everyting (kids playing football, yaddayaddayadda.

F***8ers

Comment

My current commute takes me across county for 60 odd miles. There are stretches of road that once were 60mph and are now 40 mph and there maybe one or two houses a mile apart. Villages that used to have a 40mph limit now have a 30mph limit and the edge of the limit has be extended half a mile or so outside the village. Unless the street lighting regulations have changed theses limits are probably illegal. Nice long straight stretches of road, now have double centre lines and just add to the frustration of driving behind tractors and Micras. I have never seen any driver drive fast through the villages but there are always plenty of locals in their Micras doing 20mph in the village and 30mph on the country roads.

Some villages have a flashing slow down sign but these seem to be set of at any speed above 25mph. The speed limits have become most confusing and can change half a dozen times within a mile.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BdP View Post
                      No, they are whinging busybodies who complain at everyting (kids playing football, people taking their bikes on trains
                      FTFY

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X