• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Community Speed Watch busybodies"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    exactly so.

I would like to see sanctimonious comments being given a fixed penalty, and people who remove 'judgement' from peoples actions given three points each.

Why is it that these fools expect you to drive past a school at 20mph on a sunday, but they also expect you to hit the brakes on a quiet road when there are kids playing footy. They want to remove all judgement on pain of the law, then require you to exercise judgement on pain of the law

grr

Sorry, you're not allowed to do that anymore in the UK apparently:

Article
    Article
    Article
    Article

Love this one, should try down at Chelsea one day:

playing football can (and has been) interpreted as an anti-social act and could lead to action being taken under the Crime and Disorder Act which provides for Acceptable Behaviour Commitments to be agreed or, in the extreme, ASBOs being applied for.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Exactly. You can say what you like about paedos, but they always slow down when passing a school!!
    Boom Boom..............the old ones are always the best.........as Harold Shipman used to say!!

oh shoot. i must be pissed, but

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    But how about zooming past a school at 3AM on a Sunday?

There is too much of the unthinking "the law's the law" mentality; laws should only be enforced when enforcement is serving the purpose of the law. If this principle was made explicit and followed by police as a matter of policy there would far more support for lower speed limits in dangerous places. It is the knowledge that they would simply be used by police to raise revenue without regard to the danger an incident actually presents that causes opposition.
    exactly so.

I would like to see sanctimonious comments being given a fixed penalty, and people who remove 'judgement' from peoples actions given three points each.

Why is it that these fools expect you to drive past a school at 20mph on a sunday, but they also expect you to hit the brakes on a quiet road when there are kids playing footy. They want to remove all judgement on pain of the law, then require you to exercise judgement on pain of the law

grr

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    But there are some people I dont want driving too slowly past schools either

Exactly. You can say what you like about paedos, but they always slow down when passing a school!!
    Boom Boom..............the old ones are always the best.........as Harold Shipman used to say!!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    But how about zooming past a school at 3AM on a Sunday?

There is too much of the unthinking "the law's the law" mentality; laws should only be enforced when enforcement is serving the purpose of the law. If this principle was made explicit and followed by police as a matter of policy there would far more support for lower speed limits in dangerous places. It is the knowledge that they would simply be used by police to raise revenue without regard to the danger an incident actually presents that causes opposition.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Nonsense, speeding kills, thank god you are just a brainless agent, and not in charge of safety. You would have people zooming past primary schools at 70mph.

No one thinks that zooming past a school is a good idea. But there are some people I dont want driving too slowly past schools either

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    IIRC, in Sweden, if you are caught speeding near a school, you get told to get out of the vehicle, and it is duly impounded...for keeps!
    Not sure how true it was as I never actually saw anyone doing it. Seems to work I s'pose!

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    You answered my question. Thank you.
    What was your question? "Am I thick as two short planks?" ?

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Nonsense, speeding kills, thank god you are just a brainless agent, and not in charge of safety. You would have people zooming past primary schools at 70mph.
    So, you're one of those dickheads who needs a sign to tell you to slow down for a school?
    I know you are mentally challenged but I though you would understand the concept of signposts, they tell you to slow down in advance of getting to the school. Why don't you take some time to let that sink into your very small "brain".
    So, if the sign wasn't there, you wouldn't slow down?
    I would be doing the speed limit, if there were no signs to tell me a school was there I would only slow down once I realised it was a primary school, which could be too late, hence the signs.
    You answered my question. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    I would be doing the speed limit, if there were no signs to tell me a school was there I would only slow down once I realised it was a primary school, which could be too late, hence the signs.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I know you are mentally challenged but I though you would understand the concept of signposts, they tell you to slow down in advance of getting to the school. Why don't you take some time to let that sink into your very small "brain".

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    So, you're one of those dickheads who needs a sign to tell you to slow down for a school?

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Maybe they do and maybe they do not. Breaking the speed limit is mostly a victimless crime. Speed limits are set according to ease of enforcement not according to safety so dont give us this pious sh*t about there being "a reason for speed limits"

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Maybe these people know people, who have been killed or injured in road accidents related to speeding. There is a reason for speed limits.
    Maybe they do and maybe they do not. Breaking the speed limit is mostly a victimless crime. Speed limits are set according to ease of enforcement not according to safety so dont give us this pious sh*t about there being "a reason for speed limits"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X