• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The "be nice to SY01" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Ive been thinking of using an online hosting/back up vendor.
    Look before you leap. In a fit of excitement I purchased 200GB of Gdocs storage and a piece of crap called Gladinet which was supposed to back up my files to Gdocs. Suffice to say, it doesn't (not reliably at least).

Comment

Oops. At least we get a thread reminiscent of the "good days" of SY01 posting. Your posts are always better when your life is ****.

Stop blaming Ubuntu, that's not the problem. Even if you were running WindowsME that wouldn't be the problem. Hopefully you'll adapt your backup system to be resilient no matter what happens to any individual PC.

If it makes you feel any better though, I am certain most of us here are in equally leaky boats... I'd say most of us who never had to test our backup recovery are in for a shock when it happens, however smug we are about taking backups.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

My laptop HD failed, seconds after taking a backup. New HD installed, recovered from backup. Nice.

I was quite tempted with that Jungledisk. Then I saw the price per GB. I think I'll stick to a couple of 1TB USB drives in my nuclear bunker.

edit: (be nice to SY01)... erm. No, sorry. Can't.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

edit: (be nice to SY01)... erm. No, sorry. Can't.

Leave it man. I know you wanted him banned perm last time but Admin over ruled you.

Live with it!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Played to a bigger audience than all X Factor viewing figures put together so why would I bother with that tulip never mind watch it?
            There's a market for that dreary tosh? Good luck to you!

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

If it makes you feel any better though, I am certain most of us here are in equally leaky boats... I'd say most of us who never had to test our backup recovery are in for a shock when it happens, however smug we are about taking backups.
            Nope, I run OSx & time machine.

Have had to restore one machine after a disk crash, and one after I replaced the HDD with SDD. Worked a charm both times.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

At what point does someone come up with the cliché?

There are two kinds of people: those who take backups and those who haven't had a catastrophic disk failure.
              I'm old school belt and braces, me. I take partition images and a copy of the files, on at least two media, with one being kept in a different physical location.

But why, after all these decades of computing, is backing up still such a time-consuming inconvenience? And restoring so unreliable?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Played to a bigger audience than all X Factor viewing figures put together so why would I bother with that tulip never mind watch it?
                Wow!! X-Factor has been going about 5-6 Series??
                Viewing figures in millions each week.

Just in the UK

I don't think Elton John would claim to have played to a bigger audience!!

You might be right about it being tulip but I would like to know what audience you played to that exceeds the X-Factor?

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                  Wow!! X-Factor has been going about 5-6 Series??
                  Viewing figures in millions each week.

Just in the UK

I don't think Elton John would claim to have played to a bigger audience!!

You might be right about it being tulip but I would like to know what audience you played to that exceeds the X-Factor?
                  Absolutely true but I'm keeping it a secret.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

I use dropbox for automatic sync'ing to the "cloud". Works a treat. Means I can recover all my files automatically just by installing the client should I suffer some sort of failure.

Also gives web access to your files, plus previous versions and the ability to recover deleted files...

Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 23 October 2010, 09:36.

Comment

Absolutely true but I'm keeping it a secret.
                      you are Elton John?

Comment

Working...
                      X