• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The "be nice to SY01" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    The answer is A. I've installed and reinstalled the client numerous times on numerous machines without issue.

*if* it did in fact delete your files, which I've not experienced in almost 2 years of use on 6 machines. Why didn't you just restore them from the dropbox web interface which is very easily done? Failing that, you could raise a ticket and dropbox would be able to restore them for you.
    The issue came around with sharing - I shared my dropbox with someone else, they joined the share, but didn't have enough quota to get a copy of my files. They left the share. My files were deleted in the cloud and also on my PC.

I raised a ticket. They were useless.

EDIT:
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    The answer is A.
    That's good to know. Thanks.
    Last edited by Platypus; 24 October 2010, 11:42.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I do backup my data and have tested a restore from backup on a virtual machine, so it is a proven backup. To that end I am not worried.

Rather my ignorance of piling all my eggs into one machine so that when it blows I lose my ability to invoice, and work all at the same time, is the thing I lament.

My funky new laptop has cured the second point, and I restored from a backup to be able to get up and running in under 30 mins.
      Yeah exactly. The data is one thing, being able to use it, have a clean PC up and running from scratch, etc, is another. All I'd lose is some working time, maybe a few £100 of billing time. If I were responsible for hosting anything, who knows what those few hours might cost.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

My tuppence worth... Why did you try and upgrade the OS? Update, fair enough, but upgrade?

I have had CentOS updates bugger up live machines before so don't rely on changing OS to save your arse. Sorry but to dist-upgrade a critical machine without a full (and I mean tar the whole directory structure to another drive) is just a bit silly.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
          My tuppence worth... Why did you try and upgrade the OS? Update, fair enough, but upgrade?

I have had CentOS updates bugger up live machines before so don't rely on changing OS to save your arse. Sorry but to dist-upgrade a critical machine without a full (and I mean tar the whole directory structure to another drive) is just a bit silly.
          You have a point.

I tried to install HPLIP so I could get my printer and scanner to work. This destroyed the python libraries and knocked out half of gnome

A simple "sudo apt-get install hplip" fraked it totally.

In desperation I tried reinstalling gnome. This in turn fraked the rest of the machine. In a final piece of madness / desperation "sudo apt upgrade"
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I tried to install HPLIP so I could get my printer and scanner to work. This destroyed the python libraries and knocked out half of gnome...
            Aha! So it was dodgy HP drivers - APFU.

I learned years ago to do a full backup before putting HP drivers on. Great printers. Fekkin dreadful software.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

I learned years ago to do a full backup before putting HP drivers on. Great printers. Fekkin dreadful software.
              No HPLIP is open sores.

Comment

doesn't this belong in the techie part?

...on second thoughts, SY wouldn't get as much attention or botty-wiping in there

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
                  doesn't this belong in the techie part?

...on second thoughts, SY wouldn't get as much attention or botty-wiping in there

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Why I Believe Printers Were Sent From Hell To Make Us Miserable - The Oatmeal
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      The issue came around with sharing - I shared my dropbox with someone else, they joined the share, but didn't have enough quota to get a copy of my files. They left the share. My files were deleted in the cloud and also on my PC.

I raised a ticket. They were useless.
                      I haven't used sharing, but think I'll stay away from that feature then.... just in case

Comment

Working...
                      X