• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Doodle Bouncing Balls & HTML5

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not 100% convinced, but more interestingly:

'Larry and Sergey's HTML5 balls drained my resources'

Everyone seems to think it is HTML5, on an IT site you'd have thought someone would have checked how it worked...
    That was about the Buckyball doodle from the weekend - it looks like the boring animated GIF is all that's left of it now:

Comment

I hope Firefox v4 has finally implemented the full SVG spec.

Last time I tried displaying my SVG maps, about a year ago, Firefox (some v3 version) didn't support the "g" (group) element, which makes a nonsense of the whole thing, the graphical equivalent of a computer language which doesn't support functions/subroutines! It also wouldn't display dashed lines, as I recall, or allow text fonts to be specified.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        That was about the Buckyball doodle from the weekend - it looks like the boring animated GIF is all that's left of it now:

Darn, I assumed it was the same thing. Missed that one - was it HTML5 out of interest or fake-TML5?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Last time I tried displaying my SVG maps, about a year ago, Firefox (some v3 version) didn't support the "g" (group) element, which makes a nonsense of the whole thing, the graphical equivalent of a computer language which doesn't support functions/subroutines! It also wouldn't display dashed lines, as I recall, or allow text fonts to be specified.
          I was playing with some SVG with <g>s in it that worked okay in the latest (3.6.4) Firefox (and Chrome and IE9).

The BS meter is on overload with HTML5, as Nick's comment ("it's plain old HTML 4.01") shows. It annoys me that people keep going on about the canvas element as being the Flash replacement, but really SVG is a much closer match to what Flash does. And that's been around for donkeys years, though seemingly unloved by all.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Those of us who know Google is part of the Illuminati realise that it is probably hypnotising us in some mysterious way we do not yet understand. Next week they will use the trigger and all common men who are not among the initiated will get up and kill themselves.

PS Never heard of SVG, looks interesting. I would look into it but I'll be dead next week anyway.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 8 September 2010, 09:08.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I was doing lots of work with SVG at ClientOrg last year - not just rendering, but interactive widgets with JavaScript. Things like <g> worked just fine. (MathML worked too.) I can't remember if we were applying fonts with SVG or by using namespaced CSS, but we definitely had fonts (labelling our interactive charts would have been a bit tricky otherwise ).

We were using the then-cutting-edge build, Shiretoko, as we were working on a desktop application that embedded Gecko; that version became Firefox 3.5.

There's an SVG support chart at the MDN: SVG in Firefox

Comment

Working...
              X