• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal only school dinners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Slaughtering may be a necessity but humane methods, including stunning first, are not irrelevant. Ritual slaughter, halal or kosher, is backward crap for irrational reasons. Why do we pander to it?
    You are presuming that stunning and killing are done properly at all slaughter houses in the UK.

Oh and if I was a farmer/small holder I doubt the RSPCA would come after me if I choose to wring my chickens' necks.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      You are presuming that stunning and killing are done properly at all slaughter houses in the UK.
      No, qute. And the animal welfare issues associated with transporting animals to licensed slaughterhouses (there are only a few of them) have to be considered too. I appreciate that it may seem easier to police (than animals killed on the farm), but doubt it takes into account the animals distress on being transported there. It's a system that really needs to be reviewed.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The fact that laws and standards are not always adhered to is hardly a rational reason for allowing some to opt out of them altogether.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Quite. And the sooner they install covert cameras in these places the better. When I hear of some of the things that go on it just turns my stomach. I once worked in a chicken factory years ago and can remember some of the local oiks that worked there playing football with a live chicken that had fallen off the shackles.

Comment

Yawn. Do I care if the take away down the street serves halal meat? no. Do I care if the meat on the menu is halal. no! My children will still eat it. Are we a country of wimps! sheesh.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              Yawn. Do I care if the take away down the street serves halal meat? no. Do I care if the meat on the menu is halal. no! My children will still eat it. Are we a country of wimps! sheesh.
              I regularly go to the nearest halal butcher for lamb and chicken. What counts for me is the quality and flavour something supermarkets have lost sight of in their quest for maximised profits.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                I regularly go to the nearest halal butcher for lamb and chicken. What counts for me is the quality and flavour something supermarkets have lost sight of in their quest for maximised profits.
                Exactly.
                The more relevant debate is whether or not one's conscience makes you feel comfortable about eating meat from animals.
                Essentially, we are talking about the premature killing and consumption of perfectly healthy animals. It seems a tad bizarre to get too hung up on just how that killing is carried out.
                Now I do not claim to be an expert on halal butchery, but what I DO know is that similar methods of bringing about death are the option of choice for a great many people that commit suicide. Nice hot bath, slice through major arteries and slowly drift away. Who can really say with any certainty that it is any more inhumane than a bolt through the head?
                It seems to me that some people are attempting to mask their bigotry behind a thin facade of righteous indignation, loosely related to tenuous knowledge of what constitutes responsible animal husbandry.
                FWIW, I am all in favour of eating meat. However, I can accept that others may not see it that way, and that is their right of course. Each to their own.
                My rationale is that if God/Nature had not intended us to eat it, they would not have made it taste so good.
                Yum-Yum.....................

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  But will you still be saying that when your children start getting the urge to strap things to their midriffs with batteries and wires sticking out of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    But will you still be saying that when your children start getting the urge to strap things to their midriffs with batteries and wires sticking out of them?
                    Eating Halal meat just puts you off religion like going to a Christian church and eating Jewish bread when you are young.

You quickly realise at a young age all religion is bollocks.

The only reason you end up wanting to blow people up is if you are stupid like some American killers and realise that too late your country was conning you into fighting for them.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      Your conception of the effects of nutrition intrigues me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Comment

Working...
                      X