• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractor rights - bullying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contractor rights - bullying

the 'technical architect' as he so calls himself, has overstepped the mark in my opinon.

earlier, as i was seated, he stood over me and raised his hand in a gesture as to take a swipe at me.

i feel he invaded my space and threatend me in the office and am not happy about this.

i have raised this with him, by kindly telling him if he ever does it again, he will find his head heading towards a brick wall.

i have also mentioned this to my manager and stated that we have all made exceptions for his behaviour over the past 8 weeks, and im not personally prepared to make that exception any longer.

i also stated if he thinks otherwise i will walk.

what rights do i have as a contractor. if i wanted to could i escalate this with HR and progress with legal action..
    Last edited by el duder; 24 January 2006, 12:53.

Originally posted by el duder
    the 'technical architect' as he so calls himself, has overstepped the mark in my opinon.

earlier, as i was seated, he stood over me and raised his hand in a gesture as to take a swipe at me.

i feel he invaded my space and threatend me in the office and am not happy about this.

i have raised this with him, by kindly telling him if he ever does it again, he will find his head heading towards a brick wall.

i have also mentioned this to my manager and stated that we have all made exceptions for his behaviour over the past 8 weeks, and im not personally prepared to make that exception any longer.

what rights do i have as a contractor. if i wanted to could i escalate this with HR and progress with legal action..

Dean
    If you stick his head through a wall your client will need more than just a "technical" architect

BTW, I've got a couple of Bulgarian bricklayers available so make sure you bang his head pretty hard.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Dean
      None really. You're not perm. If you walk, you walk. If he goes for you drop the fat get but I doubt a court would do anything and if you're using an agency they'd drop you like a stone.

Comment

knock the fecker out! They'll probably thank you for it...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Sounds to me you've got the situation well under control by standing your ground. Steer clear of HR, that's for (disguised) employees!

Comment

With Today's rampant Capitalism, you have take a bit of physical violence in the workplace. In a profit-driven culture your physical well-being is secondary to shareholder returns. Whether you are happy with this is immaterial, you are worthless, you are replaceable, you are expendable. Your value to your employer is what you make them. You are a vehicle for profit. So sit back and take it on the chin, if it makes the company happy.

Comment

Good, make it official with an email just to him.

OK, if you're critical to the project but may make you a liability in his view.

what rights do i have as a contractor. if i wanted to could i escalate this with HR and progress with legal action...
              AVOID! AVOID! AVOID! You have no "rights" either.

In the real world your manager recognises the problem (hopefully) but because of the need to keep a happy clappy status quo will be unlikely to go in with guns blazing. It's very difficult (sadly) to remove a permie with all this HR and "rights" bollocks.

If there is more of this unprofessional behaviour then just keep escalating this and encourage others to do the same.

Mind you, I did manage to get an interfering, useless permie project manager fired on the day I complained but only because (a) virtually everyone else had complained in private and (b) I was on great terms with the divisional manager.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I would not involve HR at all as they do not have a vested interest in representing you whatsoever.

Document the issues and then contact a solicitor and take stock of the advice you are given , do not mention this consultation to anybody at your workplace nor your agency.

And do not retaliate nor threaten retalation.

Until AFTER you leave ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
                  With Today's rampant Capitalism, you have take a bit of physical violence in the workplace. In a profit-driven culture your physical well-being is secondary to shareholder returns. Whether you are happy with this is immaterial, you are worthless, you are replaceable, you are expendable. Your value to your employer is what you make them. You are a vehicle for profit. So sit back and take it on the chin, if it makes the company happy.
                  what's your problem with shareholders?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Who is the client?
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X