• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Train Journey This Morning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    I'm not entirely sure why, maybe it's the madness setting in, but earlier today I had a thought:
    I'm aware that first generation DMUs were a lot more flexible in their formations; with any number of different combinations of various trailers and driving vehicles and unit lengths; when compared to current DMUs in service, which nowadays are fitted with complex computer wizardry that means the train goes and sulks in a corner if you try and add or take away carriages.

So I was just thinking, was it/is it possible to strengthen a first generation DMU, like a class 101 or 108, with the likes of a mark 1 carriage acting as a trailer? Say adding a TSO, or maybe if there was a need for catering facilities, a full kitchen or mini buffet: Would this work? Or would there be issues with the gangway connections, or power for the lighting, etc, with a standard carriage in the formation?

Any answers anyone?
    Don't know, but in Holland we have EMUs and the various kinds of rolling stock have incompatible gangway connections. Result of trying to get the cheapest option every time they buy rolling stock instead of thinking strategically and building a flexible fleet of rolling stock.

If only we had buffet or restaurant cars here à la Virgin Pendolino; I could then save more than the extra cost of getting breakfast and dinner on the train by being able to start work a little earlier and go home a little later.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

What about a dining car similar to that in the Titfield Thunderbolt? Which reminds me of my favourite quote from the film:

"You are sitting in my seat"
      "What - do you own this ruddy railway?"
      "Yes, as a matter of fact I do!"

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        What about a dining car similar to that in the Titfield Thunderbolt? Which reminds me of my favourite quote from the film:

Yes, the late great Stanley Baxter. That was all filmed on the Somerset and Dorset, or the Slow and Dirty as it used to be known!

Comment

Just as a little railway aside, I have just bought myself a new laptop bag in the form of this:

Guards' Bag

Much nicer, I think, than your average petrochemical made number.

Comment

Just as a little railway aside, I have just bought myself a new laptop bag in the form of this:

Guards' Bag

Much nicer, I think, than your average petrochemical made number.
            SMART!!!

Comment

I'm not entirely sure why, maybe it's the madness setting in, but earlier today I had a thought
              Well you know what they say about giving an endless number of monkeys access to typewriters. Eventually one of them will produce the works of Shakespeare. It was bound to happen at some point.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Haven't seen that, but I was thinking along the lines of a Pullman dining car, with smartly uniformed staff serving gastronomic delights for the discerning traveller.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This morning I saw something that really annoys me. Exiting the main concourse of Swindon Station was a cyclist WITH NO HELMET.

This sight ennervated me in such away as to I cry after him "Don't you think you should be wearing a helmet?" to which he replied that I shouldn't trouble myself to worry about his personal welfare. This really got my goat and I duly informed him that I was not concerned in any way whatsoever with his own welfare but was concerned about the TIME AND INCONVENIENCE he was going to cause the emergency services when they had to come out and scrape him up off the road, not to mention the added burden he'd be placing on the NHS. I hope I gave him something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    I remember travelling from Swansea to Neath on the Pullman.

My one & only journey.

It cost an extra half a crown* each over the day return I already had.

*that's 12.5p for the uninitiated.
                    a.k.a. two and six
                    a.k.a. half a dollar

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I hope I gave him something to think about.
                      Your outfit alone did that.

HTH
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X