• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damon View Post
    I am finding serviced apartments more competitive than hotels recently, especially if you can commit to minimum spend over a period.
    I used to go that in Edinburgh - I negotiated a flat rate which worked out at about £25 a night. Downside was that I was only there Monday to Friday, so couldn't leave anything there over the weekend, and I never knew which flat I'd be in from one week to the next.

But at that price, to be in a penthouse flat (which I was a few weeks) looking out onto Britannia, it was a bargain
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I am finding serviced apartments more competitive than hotels recently, especially if you can commit to minimum spend over a period.

My current gig doesn't allow for much forward planning for booking more than a week or two in advance but I have been able to get rooms booked for £42 in Leeds and £86 in Central London.

For me they are better over the long term as you can prepare your own food, eat healthier whilst spending less than you would in restaurants.

You can also get them to keep a bag of belongings there between visits which helps with trips.

£42 for this vs. £50 for a night in a Travelodge? No brainer.

£50 a night in a travelodge only someone who doesn't know how their pricing model works would pay that...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        £50 a night in a travelodge only someone who doesn't know how their pricing model works would pay that...
        Yes you can get Travelodge cheaper by booking early, non-refundable or last minute but the price itself wouldn't persuade me to stay in one. I find them loathsome places

Comment

Yes you can get Travelodge cheaper by booking early, non-refundable or last minute but the price itself wouldn't persuade me to stay in one. I find them loathsome places
          Twas merely a dig at someone. Will be staying at one tonight but that is because I can't be arsed to drive home and it costs about 20p more than the cost of fuel....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Twas merely a dig at someone. Will be staying at one tonight but that is because I can't be arsed to drive home and it costs about 20p more than the cost of fuel....
            Tarquin will be so mad.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Did a few travelodges last summer. I find them OK but during last summers heatwave I though I was going to die one night it was so hot. Not their fault - it is what it is after all.

Tried a local 5* B&B one night -it wasnt 5*!!

Best thing I found was a small studio apartment on Holiday Lettings » Holiday Rentals, Villas, Apartments, Cottages. Same price pretty much as a travelodge. It was small yeh but you had TV, DVD, cooker, fridge etc so much better than travelodge.

Currently looking at gig 75-90 mins from home back in same location so might do 1 night a week here if I can swing it. Otherwise every day driving is going to knacker me.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I normally download enough decent viewing to iPad for the trip away and this week I popped out and bought an Apple TV device so I stream content onto the TV in the accommodation.

Top tip!

Comment

I normally download enough decent viewing to iPad for the trip away and this week I popped out and bought an Apple TV device so I stream content onto the TV in the accommodation.

Top tip!
                  It's cheaper to visit pron.com

HTH

Comment

Top tip!
                    Yeh seen them. Theres slingbox as well aint there where you can get a feed from a sky box at home. Handy if you've got multi-room and two boxes (otherwise family at home wont be happy if you take control of sky box).

Although always a bit variable to be able to plug devices into hotel tvs. Some of them seem to do their best to stop you fiddling with things.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Yeh seen them. Theres slingbox as well aint there where you can get a feed from a sky box at home. Handy if you've got multi-room and two boxes (otherwise family at home wont be happy if you take control of sky box).

Although always a bit variable to be able to plug devices into hotel tvs. Some of them seem to do their best to stop you fiddling with things.
                      Or just install the Sky Go app? Or stream from sky.com?

Comment

Working...
                      X