• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelodge is not too bad for the odd night or two...

I stay down one or two nights a week most weeks as I live in Brum and am working a good 2.5 hr commute away in Watford from the office by train. I book a room at the Central Travelodge (which if done a few weeks in advance can be got for around £30 a night- cheapest I've managed is £24). Its a bit bland but clean & dry for less than £30 quid a night can't really ask for much more (mind you try booking even a week before and you can expect to pay around 50 quid for the same room...). The Premier Inn charges 70+ quid a night regardless of how far in advance you book and can't really justify the cost for just somewhere to crash (Ditto the Holdiay Inn Express).

As far as London goes my next gig may well be there and have heard good things about the tune hotel chain (£50-ish quid a night), also EasyHotel may be work a look?

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
      I stay down one or two nights a week most weeks as I live in Brum and am working a good 2.5 hr commute away in Watford from the office by train. I book a room at the Central Travelodge (which if done a few weeks in advance can be got for around £30 a night- cheapest I've managed is £24). Its a bit bland but clean & dry for less than £30 quid a night can't really ask for much more (mind you try booking even a week before and you can expect to pay around 50 quid for the same room...). The Premier Inn charges 70+ quid a night regardless of how far in advance you book and can't really justify the cost for just somewhere to crash (Ditto the Holdiay Inn Express).

As far as London goes my next gig may well be there and have heard good things about the tune hotel chain (£50-ish quid a night), also EasyHotel may be work a look?
      The Tune Hotel requires you appearing with your passport (as they're a Malaysian company there are no exceptions), not something I'm prepared to do when staying in hotels in the UK!

Late rooms are great -if you look outside of term time you can get rooms in the universities for <£50 pn - I got a room at the LSE near Covent Garden over Christmas.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        The Tune Hotel requires you appearing with your passport (as they're a Malaysian company there are no exceptions), not something I'm prepared to do when staying in hotels in the UK!
        I found this a bit weird but according to their website:

Yes, you can. You are required to key in Guest First Name, Guest Last Name/Surname and *IC/Passport Number when making booking. The Guest will need to present a valid ID during check in.
        *For all Tune Hotels locations in the UK, non EU nationals are required to present any valid photo identification.
        They don't look all that good value as it is. I quite liked the Staybridge Suites and although its going to cost you around 100GBP a night, that does include breakfast and your room is reasonably spacious with a fully fitted kitchen. I did that for a couple of years down near Stuttgart and it wasn't too bad (the Staybridge was much better though) and the Marriott in Poughkeepsie. I find these 'Aparthotels' quite handy if you're doing long stints and book them monthly so I can stay weekends if needs be...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Late rooms are great -if you look outside of term time you can get rooms in the universities for <£50 pn - I got a room at the LSE near Covent Garden over Christmas.
          Good tip re universities, never really considered them for accomodation but I guess it makes sense for them to rent out the rooms to the general public when otherwise they would be standing empty. Having to show a passport wouldn't put me off tune hotels though, anyone stayed at Easyhotel chain?, I know the rooms are tiny but seem good value...

Comment

Some universities will do it direct - I stayed in one in Glasgow a number of years back for next to nothing. Shared between me and some other guys from the project, each room had en-suite shower and they dropped off a variety pack of cereal and milk each day as well.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What do you guys think of simply renting a studio/bedsit in the very middle the London City?
              A good idea to save time or just a waste of money?

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                What do you guys think of simply renting a studio/bedsit in the very middle the London City?
                A good idea to save time or just a waste of money?
                Done it before - would consider it again.

Depends on what you want from the place - a friend of mine paid significantly less to stay in a hovel and travel in via DLR every day, but I had a nice place within walking distance of work.

As with everything, do your research - not just on price, though.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Done it before - would consider it again.

Depends on what you want from the place - a friend of mine paid significantly less to stay in a hovel and travel in via DLR every day, but I had a nice place within walking distance of work.

As with everything, do your research - not just on price, though.
                  That's the thing for me too - it is a bit more expensive, but I could have a proper meal (read: spaghetti) and a convenient address for my Ltd too...

Comment

So, it looks like I'll be staying away Monday to Friday (or possibly Sunday to Friday due to travel times ) up in Edinburgh.

I've had a look through Spareroom to scope out for the longer term, but does anyone know of decent (yet cheap) B&Bs for the first week or two? As close to the city centre as possible - I'll be working near Edinburgh Castle, with no transport besides my two feet / public transport.

Comment

Don't go to NY!

NY official: Airbnb stay illegal; host fined $2,400
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X