• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F.i.l.t.h

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F.i.l.t.h

Failed in London trying Hong Kong...

Clinton backs PM as future UN chief

Former US president Bill Clinton has given Prime Minister Tony Blair his backing as a future secretary general of the United Nations.

Mr Clinton said Mr Blair would make a "good" head for the international organisation when he stepped down as Prime Minister, as he has promised he will before the next general election.

So Blair realises an EU presidency is not going to happen, so guess he'll be trying to invent a president of the World.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Isn't that Kofi Annan's job at the moment?

Or have I got the wrong international Jobs-For-Failed-Politicians organisation?

Comment

Plus it's a fairly established precedent as far as applying for the job of UN Secretary General goes that "people from first world countries need not apply".
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

No it isn't - they take it in turns.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

That's the thing about precedents, they change what has gone before. I agree with Spartacus, in the current political climate it has to be be a w, ooh sorry, I meant a representative from a developing country.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
            No it isn't - they take it in turns.
            No they don't.

1997 - present: Kofi Annan (Ghana)
            1992 - 1996: Boutros Boutros-Ghali (Egypt)
            1982 - 1991: Javier Pérez de Cuéllar (Peru)

Unless you are counting Egypt as a first world country it's been 25 years since a Westerner has been UN secretary general (Kurt Waldheim who stepped down in 1981).
            I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
              Plus it's a fairly established precedent as far as applying for the job of UN Secretary General goes that "people from first world countries need not apply".
              So THAT'S why he's trying to turn us into a third world country!

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
                No they don't.

1997 - present: Kofi Annan (Ghana)
                1992 - 1996: Boutros Boutros-Ghali (Egypt)
                1982 - 1991: Javier Pérez de Cuéllar (Peru)
                They don't take it in turns, but there is a tendency to try to give each continent a turn. Not each "world"!

Comment

Not much of a tendency given the last two turns have been 'Africa'.

Comment

Working...
                  X