• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a mess this forum is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all the 'anyone using IE6 deserves it'.... seriously you need to enter real life. You don't write websites based on your idealogical utopia where FireFox is the only browser, you write them to run on what people use. In the grand scheme of things, nobody cares what you personally think about web standards, they just want it to work on their PC.

I find it a nice piece of hypocrisy that the people shouting 'we should force users to do what we say is right' would be on here like a shot complaining if someone they buy services from tried to force them to work how they wanted.

IE6 still cannot be ignored, not for a little while anyhow. No doubt the open-source crowd will pile in saying how, like America in Iraq, we have the responsibility to topple the monster that is IE6, but it's an old and boring argument and one you can't win against the fact people still use IE6.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      To all the 'anyone using IE6 deserves it'.... seriously you need to enter real life. You don't write websites based on your idealogical utopia where FireFox is the only browser, you write them to run on what people use. In the grand scheme of things, nobody cares what you personally think about web standards, they just want it to work on their PC.

I find it a nice piece of hypocrisy that the people shouting 'we should force users to do what we say is right' would be on here like a shot complaining if someone they buy services from tried to force them to work how they wanted.

IE6 still cannot be ignored, not for a little while anyhow. No doubt the open-source crowd will pile in saying how, like America in Iraq, we have the responsibility to topple the monster that is IE6, but it's an old and boring argument and one you can't win against the fact people still use IE6.
      Surely the lack of security in IE6 should be spur enough to hasten its end? I've yet to hear a good argument from anybody why it should still be used in any environment (on client sites that is). In my experience inertia and laziness are prominent factors in keeping it around not any sound business or even financial argument.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

I don't care about 'should' and I am not advocating anyone use IE6. But the reality is people do.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't care about 'should' and I am not advocating anyone use IE6. But the reality is people do.
          Fck 'em them
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            I also thought it was a smaller font, but I'm wondering if it's just a different default font from the previous forum?

EDIT: just checked (with Chrome on Windows 7) and the old forum used Verdana as its default post font, while the new forum seems to be using Tahoma, the latter being more compact/narrower with less inter-character space at the same font size, which probably explains why the new font looks smaller - to Windows users anyway.
            Correct - I'm considering changing that.

Comment

Oddly enough, I agree. However, given that in the grand scheme of things IE6 has about 4% usage in the UK, I didn't regard it as a major priority when there was a lot more than mucking about with CSS going into getting the new software up and running. I'm working on IE6 now and the forum is already looking usable (for the most part) in it.

Common practice nowadays is to serve IE6 a minimal set of styles, so it gets something that looks like a doctoral thesis viewed in Netscape Navigator 2. I'm trying to avoid going that route, but if the time and effort involved prove to be not worthwhile then that's what'll happen.

It's also common practice nowadays to point out to clients that, if they expect things to look just the same in IE6 as in a modern browser, it will double the cost of the project. So IE6 users shouldn't expect all the rounded corners and so on that proper browsers get, but the forum will be functional for them.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Oddly enough, I agree. However, given that in the grand scheme of things IE6 has about 4% usage in the UK, I didn't regard it as a major priority when there was a lot more than mucking about with CSS going into getting the new software up and running. I'm working on IE6 now and the forum is already looking usable (for the most part) in it.

Common practice nowadays is to serve IE6 a minimal set of styles, so it gets something that looks like a doctoral thesis viewed in Netscape Navigator 2. I'm trying to avoid going that route, but if the time and effort involved prove to be not worthwhile then that's what'll happen.

It's also common practice nowadays to point out to clients that, if they expect things to look just the same in IE6 as in a modern browser, it will double the cost of the project. So IE6 users shouldn't expect all the rounded corners and so on that proper browsers get, but the forum will be functional for them.
                Easy enough answer to get I would think. Ask Admin what the breakdown is for the site!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Easy enough answer to get I would think. Ask Admin what the breakdown is for the site!
                  Admin and I have already shared our views on IE6

Comment

ClientCo's site which gets an enormous amount of traffic stopped catering for IE6 users with the launch of their new site last month. Stats show IE6 accounted for 3.2% of traffic. Just not worth the effort.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Admin and I have already shared our views on IE6
                      Glad to see you're a proper contractor though Nick. Leave a couple of bugs in, a few issues with the browsers.

You're obviously charging by the hour.

Well done.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X