• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a mess this forum is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate the new format - not good at all

Comment

Jesus! Its a right mess. Who designed it, stevie wonder!!?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I am sorry to say that it is a bit of a mess. Trying now on IE8 15” screen. It only works full screen, if I use a smaller window; it over-laps. Tried to use the forum on a mini 10” screen and found it impossible.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Oddly enough, I agree. However, given that in the grand scheme of things IE6 has about 4% usage in the UK, I didn't regard it as a major priority when there was a lot more than mucking about with CSS going into getting the new software up and running. I'm working on IE6 now and the forum is already looking usable (for the most part) in it.
          I agree with all your points except this one. Even I know that browser stats vary a lot depending which sites you look at. And any site that web-developers use to see stats is automatically biased by the very presence of those developers, who are the most likely to be using FF/Chrome.

I see stats from 5-20% depending where I look. Don't you have any history accessible from old-CUK to see what the target demographic use?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Glad to see you're a proper contractor though Nick. Leave a couple of bugs in, a few issues with the browsers.

You're obviously charging by the hour.

Well done.
            Quality!

Nick and I certainly do agree that IE should be taken out the back and quietly disposed of, but lumbering corporates and big IT departments do not appear to see it that way. I blame myself totally for this. Since my first ever dabblings with the webby world in the late nineties I have always known about cross browser compatibility. Testing in Netscape and IE, especially around the browser wars time when browser upgrades came in rapid succession of IE 5.0, 5.5 and then 6 was at times more of a headache than it is today. I cannot say why I missed checking this one in IE6. I have a lot of work on and when you are rushed you do miss things. I do usually like to quote browser stats as a reason for supporting (or not) particular browsers and I do always stress that it can swing wildly depending on your market audience. So, for those of you who are interested, here you are:

Browser Details:

IE - 53.50%
            FF - 27.97%
            Safari - 8.96%
            Chrome - 7.76%
            Opera - 0.62%

IE breaks down:

8.0 - 41.05% = 21.96% of total
            7.0 - 30.61% = 16.38% of total
            6.0 - 28.33% = 15.16% of total

I consider 15% of audience to be worth making allowances for.

I have seen the test site on IE6 now and it is looking a lot better. I have the utmost confidence in Nick's abilities to sort the bugs, he really is a talented and incredibly knowledgeable guy. The site may not render as nicely as it does in newer browsers but it certainly won't be the unsightly and unusable turd that it is at present. I think the plan is to fix it so it renders cleanly but the right hand column will likely drop below the main content. Not sure I should tell you that as some of you may downgrade your browsers so you don't see the football ad

Appreciate the comments on font and have had a mail exchange with Nick about it this evening and it is likely we will go back to Verdana to make the site easier to read.

Fingers crossed all of you stuck with IE will have something a bit more usable very soon.

Comment

I wish you'd not talk about "IE" when it's "IE6" which is the problem here. IE8 in particular is a solid (if not wonderful) competitor to FF/Chrome/Safari and I think as IT professionals we should be careful to clearly make our points:
              a)IE6 is (by modern standards) a very bad choice and should not be used by users
              b)IE8 is a totally different beast
              c)"IE" doesn't really exist as a combined entity, different incarnations should be viewed as separate browsers
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Glad to see you're a proper contractor though Nick. Leave a couple of bugs in, a few issues with the browsers.

You're obviously charging by the hour.

Well done.
                you're a cock..

give the guy a f##kin break, it's not a mission critical system, it relies on extensive testing in mulitple browser/OS configs and given that you didn't bother to test the system but feel the god almighty right to bitch and moan about it at every possible opportunity even after admitting you couldnt be f##kin bothered to click on the "would you like to test the new forum" thread boils my blood... shut the f##k up given that you abstained your right to moan the moment you decided to not bother test and trust others to do so on your behalf..

all in all given Nick's remit and given the tough crowd he'd face (i.e IT literate and handbag/out of pram prone) I personally think he's done a pretty decent job with admittedly a few cosmetic tweaks required to fit the majority OS/browser configs..

in short, shut the f#ck up or provide a better alternative in a 2 week period or provide constructive critiscism that helps improve the forum.. bitching and moaning doesn't help..

Chef
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  you're a cock..

give the guy a f##kin break, it's not a mission critical system, it relies on extensive testing in mulitple browser/OS configs and given that you didn't bother to test the system but feel the god almighty right to bitch and moan about it at every possible opportunity even after admitting you couldnt be f##kin bothered to click on the "would you like to test the new forum" thread boils my blood... shut the f##k up given that you abstained your right to moan the moment you decided to not bother test and trust others to do so on your behalf..

all in all given Nick's remit and given the tough crowd he'd face (i.e IT literate and handbag/out of pram prone) I personally think he's done a pretty decent job with admittedly a few cosmetic tweaks required to fit the majority OS/browser configs..

in short, shut the f#ck up or provide a better alternative in a 2 week period or provide constructive critiscism that helps improve the forum.. bitching and moaning doesn't help..

Chef
                  F-ck you Chef and get a life you cretin!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

F-ck you Chef and get a life you cretin!
                    stop bitching and moaning like a prissy little girl and I'll stop vocally telling you what I truly believe i think of you and your pathetic "look at me" attempts to put down Nick, the new board and admin and then I'll back off.. constructive criticism is one thing.. your bitching and moaning at every single possible thread I read today boils my blood.. f-ck you yourself and think how to contribute positively in the future please.. less than 1 day and your whinings are already boring..

EDIT: use of "cretin" shows very poor skills in response when you need to use SAS's choice of words.. hth

EDIT2: Apologies to admin but the none constructive input/constant hijaking of multiple threads by MF annoys me, i've voiced my opinion, if MF has an issue I'll happily take it offline to PM from now on..
                    Last edited by chef; 21 April 2010, 22:17.
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                      if MF has an issue I'll happily take it offline to PM from now on..
                      Do PMs work in the new forum, or are they totally borked as well?

(joke)
                      If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                      X