• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you know if you're affected by stress?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Go and ask some council worker or some such pen pusher in a civil service joint. They are always taking paid months off with some excuse of stress/depression etc.
    Tell me about it, in my last contract I had to work closely with a MoD employee who would be off at the drop of a hat when something difficult came up which put extra pressure on me, it makes my blood boil to think he's still sat at a desk/at home on full pay whilst I languish on the bench.

******* parasites, we should ditch all employment law and expose the wasters for what they are.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

ISTM that it is rare for a person to be able to know at the time that they are stressed.

You sure know later, when it stops. You feel like you can breathe again and a weight has been lifted from you. You think, Holy tulip, did I really put up with that for so long?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        ISTM that it is rare for a person to be able to know at the time that they are stressed.

You sure know later, when it stops. You feel like you can breathe again and a weight has been lifted from you. You think, Holy tulip, did I really put up with that for so long?
        Hit the nail on the head there. Couldn't agree more. The clever bit is if you or someone else can help spot the signs and talk to someone in time to help.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Yep, the blues can catch you unawares at times, but they go as quickly as they arrive...
          And sometimes that black dog just won't go away.....

If you think you are stressed then do find someone to help you deal with it.
          If you do have a competent gp, then consult them or these people who might have someone who can help you through.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

No hard and fast answers on this. Sometimes you feel stressed and the reason is quite obvious, a dispute with a neighbour or tax enquiry etc.

But stress is not always a conscious thing. You can even be in a situation which you do not see as stressful at all, in fact if asked you would say life was good and exciting. Then the panic hits you and won't go away and you end up in the loony bin.

PS Not that I would know of course.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Hit the nail on the head there. Couldn't agree more. The clever bit is if you or someone else can help spot the signs and talk to someone in time to help.
              Originally posted by expat View Post

That's the real Q - how do you know?!

I have a number of stressful situations at the moment, but life is generally good otherwise (in contract, family ok etc).

I'm short of breath, have a collicky chest pain with tightness, occasionally my heart seems to beat stronger for no reason , my mind seemed fried half the time. I'm temperamental - happy and sad and angry within short timeframes... My kids don't know whether I'm coming or going!

I've had checkups previously at the docs, in particular for the chest pain which was so bad it had me floored. But nothing. Not a spec of anything physical could be found by the hospitals (which is a good thing really, but I wanted them to find something so that they could fix it!).

I would love to just be shot of everything except my family, for just 6 months so that I could regain some composure and health. Being in contract though, it's just not a possibility I'm willing to entertain right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                I would love to just be shot of everything except my family, for just 6 months so that I could regain some composure and health. Being in contract though, it's just not a possibility I'm willing to entertain right now.
                I would look long and hard at your lifestyle in that case, before the possibility becomes a reality that is forced upon you one way or another.

Sometimes if you don't deal with it early enough, you have no choice or control in the matter...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The term someone told me in this situation is 'If you can't see it then talk about it'. You have all the classic symptoms which are physical. I think I misunderstood physical symptoms. There won't be any in the classic find it and cure it at a hospital. The are situational related, ie shortage of breath and then will go away. Oddly enough the length of time you have to wait to be seen at hospital and docs is so bloody long you have calmed down by the time you get in there.

Because you can't see the physical effect in your term of physical problems you need to speak to someone about your situation, read up on it. This will show you what makes you feel this way and how to deal with it.

Am no way a doctor but this is what I do when I feel am in that situation and BTW I havn't had long term stress, mine feel more like a few weeks of sinking.

1. Make lists - I carry a pen and paper around and write everything down to do. That way I can get all the little crap that stresses you out done and seeing the ticks can be very uplifting. I get more done in this period than anytime oddly enough...

2. Sleep!! - First thing that goes is sleep and you cannot function without sleep. Go get something to help you. I know there is some stigma about admitting you need to take relaxants or sleeping tablets but sod that. Being awake, strong and perky helps no end

Armed with those two I normally feel like I can go take on the world. Everything will be a lot clearer and you can deal with the bigger crap that is making you ill.... hopefully
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

<snip>
                    Thanks mate.

Comment

The term someone told me in this situation is 'If you can't see it then talk about it'. You have all the classic symptoms which are physical. I think I misunderstood physical symptoms. There won't be any in the classic find it and cure it at a hospital. The are situational related, ie shortage of breath and then will go away. Oddly enough the length of time you have to wait to be seen at hospital and docs is so bloody long you have calmed down by the time you get in there.

Because you can't see the physical effect in your term of physical problems you need to speak to someone about your situation, read up on it. This will show you what makes you feel this way and how to deal with it.

Am no way a doctor but this is what I do when I feel am in that situation and BTW I havn't had long term stress, mine feel more like a few weeks of sinking.

1. Make lists - I carry a pen and paper around and write everything down to do. That way I can get all the little crap that stresses you out done and seeing the ticks can be very uplifting. I get more done in this period than anytime oddly enough...

2. Sleep!! - First thing that goes is sleep and you cannot function without sleep. Go get something to help you. I know there is some stigma about admitting you need to take relaxants or sleeping tablets but sod that. Being awake, strong and perky helps no end

Armed with those two I normally feel like I can go take on the world. Everything will be a lot clearer and you can deal with the bigger crap that is making you ill.... hopefully
                      Good advice there.

All I can add is take a walk at lunchtime, get out of the office environment and do something that allows you to think without the distractions.

This applies to the benchees too, get out on your bike or go for a swim just for an hour, anything but sitting in front of the PC all day.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X