• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone migrated long term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gooddayall View Post
    Wasn't there an English movie about him recently ?
    Doubt it.
    It's surprising what one can achieve when you have a real passion for something, rather than doing something just for a job or for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      Spotted your problem

I know
      Actually that little blighter had issues recently. I think someone took a disliking and tried to give him a real good kicking . Still hasn't recovered fully over one week later

Comment

Originally posted by Croatian View Post
        Is it really Eastern Europe? Well, I didn't know that.....

Geographically it's in South Eastern Europe, along with Italy. Politically, they left the Cominform (Soviet) group in 1948 and existed in isolation from the USSR from then onwards.
        Is it as good in Croatia as in Slovenia ? I been to Slovenia 10 years ago and it was quite modern. However, travel south or east from there and you come to the poorest part of Europe where no westerner has consciously migrated to.

Comment

Originally posted by gooddayall View Post
          Is it as good in Croatia as in Slovenia ? I been to Slovenia 10 years ago and it was quite modern. However, travel south or east from there and you come to the poorest part of Europe where no westerner has consciously migrated to.
          Slovenia is a relatively prosperous place, doing much better than Croatia. I never really understood why it was part of Yugoslavia, it's alpine rather than Balkan, and the people seem to have a more Western European mindset.

Oh, and the women are stunning.

I could live there.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
            Doubt it.
            It's surprising what one can achieve when you have a real passion for something, rather than doing something just for a job or for the money.
            I was super passionate about IT - 10 years of IT study show it. Then came 2009 and I tried to find a contract in the UK.... I have no faith in studying anymore...

Comment

I could live there.
              Tell that to the average poor Croatian. He surely wouldn't be very exited about it.

Comment

Slovenia is a relatively prosperous place, doing much better than Croatia. I never really understood why it was part of Yugoslavia, it's alpine rather than Balkan, and the people seem to have a more Western European mindset.

I could live there.
                The territory had been divided between Italy and Austria, which lost in WWII. The local "victor" was, or was to become, Yugoslavia, so that's where it went.

Comment

Originally Posted by Croatian
                  Britain isn't the place it was, it's rapidly turning into an open air prison.

????

It's slightly off topic. Or is it? The UK government have eroded civil liberties using terrorism as an excuse. Brits are being captured by CCTV C.300 times per day. Millions of car journeys are captured by ANPR daily. Yet if you use a camera in public, you risk arrest. ID cards. An extra 10,000 tasers being delivered to the police, who are comfortable enough to kill demonstrators in broad daylight on the streets of London. The database society.

I could go on, but suffice to say Spain, where I am now, was a Fascist state and Croatia, an ex Communist country, where I was before, both place much higher value on liberties and freedoms than the UK.
                  Yeah, civil liberties are crap here. I think the UK has a very low ranking in the world with regards to civil liberties. The nanny state, the CCTV state, and slowley but surely the Police state. I can relate one case I was involved with where the Police didn't do an investigation, lied and said they had and pointed the finger at a innocent woman. When it went to court, the judge (thank god) lashed out at the cops. But more and more the judges are having their hands tied while the Police (and home office) are getting away with more breaches of HR and other laws. tulipty police forces like GMP are getting away with incomepetence (remember those alleged student terrorists?) and also covering it up. Tasers are a danger to us all. I've read of several deaths from those things. They need to be chucked in the bin.

Sadly its no better in the US, Canada, Oz et al.

One thing I've found about the UK, heads never roll. When there's a cockup you don't see resignations and apologies. Just "we believed it was the right thing to do at the time". Rubbish!
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    One thing I've found about the UK, heads never roll. When there's a cockup you don't see resignations and apologies. Just "we believed it was the right thing to do at the time". Rubbish!
                    Occasionally you get a politician saying "I take full responsibility". What that now means is not that he resigns or anything like that, just that he appears in public and says "I take full responsibility". It is not clear to me what "responsibility" means in this context.

Comment

Sometimes you think you have migrated to one country, but end up in another.

When I was in Bangalore, I met an English couple, they had migrated to Canada. But were on the second 2 year assigment in India.

All the best plans etc.
                      Last edited by alreadypacked; 14 April 2010, 13:39.
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X