• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone migrated long term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definately want to do it when I retire but really I'd like to do it sooner. To do it now it would need to be somewhere where money can still be made from IT(or retrain) and that leaves a few countries in Europe or the USA or Austrailia. I don't know, maybe there is a good market for our skills in other non-English speaking countries.

A school friend is doing very well in the USA in the Media industry, been there pretty much since leaving school (with few qualifications). In fact he's probably making a nice fortune. Doesn't seem so easy to just move there these days
    Last edited by SuperZ; 14 April 2010, 11:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Croatian View Post
      I was walking through the rain in Brum, on my way to Villa Park. Already I was thinking "WTF am I doing in this place?"
      I've met people who have moved to North America - just coming back to visit friends and family - say exactly the same thing. They wonder what's so "Great" about the place.

Britain isn't the place it was, it's rapidly turning into an open air prison.
      ????
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
        Definately want to do it when I retire but really I'd like to do it sooner. To do it now it would need to be somewhere where money can still be made from IT(or retrain) and that leaves a few countries in Europe or the USA or Austrailia. I don't know, maybe there is a good market for our skills in other non-English speaking countries.

A school friend is doing very well in the USA in the Media industry, been there pretty much since leaving school (with few qualifications). In fact he's probably making a nice fortune. Doesn't seem so easy to just move there these days
        Spotted your problem

Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

If you have a wanderlust, like I did, I reckon finding the place for you is like buying a new house: you'll instinctively know when you've found it. Which is why I'll be returning to Croatia once they join the EU.

There are many things I like about Britain, but more and more they are available in other countries too.

The music, for example: only Britain stands up to America with pride in the area of popular music. Fine. I'm proud of the British music scene. But I'm not part of it, so I don't need to be here, I can listen to the music wherever I live.

And so on, if indeed there is anything else quite as imressive as British music. BBC radio, OK. But e.g. the Today Program, fine as it is, is a lot less relevant if you don't live here, and World Service is, ... well, obviously, available.

I might miss some TV: University Challenge, Mastermind, QI. I might frig a way of watching them online. But part of it is the pride in knowing that no other country would do them.

Other TV for the most part will be out on DVD sometime. I'm in no hurry.

So: some of the culture, not the society but the cultural productions. On the other side, the society. And most of all the government. All of them. I don't belong.

Sometimes it is easier to fit in another country, because you don't expect to care so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
            Wasn't there an English movie about him recently ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Croatian

????

It's slightly off topic. Or is it? The UK government have eroded civil liberties using terrorism as an excuse. Brits are being captured by CCTV C.300 times per day. Millions of car journeys are captured by ANPR daily. Yet if you use a camera in public, you risk arrest. ID cards. An extra 10,000 tasers being delivered to the police, who are comfortable enough to kill demonstrators in broad daylight on the streets of London. The database society.

I could go on, but suffice to say Spain, where I am now, was a Fascist state and Croatia, an ex Communist country, where I was before, both place much higher value on liberties and freedoms than the UK.

Comment

[I]

Croatia, an ex Communist country, where I was before, both place much higher value on liberties and freedoms than the UK.
                Yeah right, eastern europe - heaven on earth.

Comment

Originally Posted by Croatian

????

It's slightly off topic. Or is it? The UK government have eroded civil liberties using terrorism as an excuse. Brits are being captured by CCTV C.300 times per day. Millions of car journeys are captured by ANPR daily. Yet if you use a camera in public, you risk arrest. ID cards. An extra 10,000 tasers being delivered to the police, who are comfortable enough to kill demonstrators in broad daylight on the streets of London. The database society.

I could go on, but suffice to say Spain, where I am now, was a Fascist state and Croatia, an ex Communist country, where I was before, both place much higher value on liberties and freedoms than the UK.
                  I know. They tasered an epileptic for having a fit recently. Then robustly defended it afterwards as a correct response to the man's actions.

The police are dead set on complete control of public space. Not just effective policing, complete ownership.

Comment

Excellent reminder that this country is, sadly, a tuliphole.

I'm very lucky (I think) that I live in a rural, not urban, area.

Comment

Originally posted by gooddayall View Post
                      Yeah right, eastern europe - heaven on earth.
                      Is it really Eastern Europe? Well, I didn't know that.....

Geographically it's in South Eastern Europe, along with Italy. Politically, they left the Cominform (Soviet) group in 1948 and existed in isolation from the USSR from then onwards.

Comment

Working...
                      X