• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

i feel that,

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much ado about nothing sp. It ain't broke and don't need fixing.
    With your steady hand on the tiller we have steered a safe course, albeit in a number of rather pointless circles for the most part.
    If tweaks are needed then let's hear about them and get them over with. But from my perspective this forum is valuable because it does not stick too rigidly to restrictive boundaries. If that laissez faire attitude is not to the liking of some of the newcomers then let them be the ones to rethink their positions.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Scotspine is Sasguru (well, one of them) and I claim my five Narcissi.
      Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
        i have issues, of which most of you will be unaware, with how we moderators, myself in particular i suppose, have guidelines regarding the suitability of posted content, and yet, find these guidelines to be the constant subject of negotiation, adjustment and indeed moderation for the sake of, i can only imagine, presenting a friendly face to the membership at large.
        There are comments, and indeed criticisms of both camps, but this post particularly intrigued me.

Maybe I am reading into it too much, maybe not, the comments are specifically made to be general.

EDIT: IN fact I am not reading into to it too much, SP has a problem with the way he has been told to run the site.
        Last edited by minestrone; 26 March 2010, 22:38.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          There are comments, and indeed criticisms of both camps, but this post particularly intrigued me.

Maybe I am reading into it too much, maybe not, the comments are specifically made to be general.

EDIT: IN fact I am not reading into to it too much, SP has a problem with the way he has been told to run the site.
          You are on the money this time, yes. Possibly the bit about the business case for a busy forum being put ahead of decency and decorum is where the truth lurks.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
            Yes, it would be useful if scotspine could elaborate, but I doubt that'll happen. It would also be interesting to get some sort of response from admin and the other mods on this unfortunate situation.
            I agree. The forum needs to be kept informed of what, if any, changes are in the offing. Personally, as I have said on a number of occasions, I do not feel that anything much needs altering as I believe the formula works very well. However if change is to happen then it is damaging to keep it all under wraps.
            I, for one, intend to continue exactly as I always have done. If that ends up getting me Banned then so be it. I have no intention of modifying my activity and behaviour to suit the whims of a few hypersensitive newcomers with PC notions of how this place ought to operate.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I checked his status today and noticed he had not been on for a while, cannot remember how long but certainly before the great shakedown happened. I was kind of hoping that he could have taken some people off for a chat with his arm round their shoulder.

I am again guessing that he came on, checked out the admin forum and thought bugger it, I never signed up for this.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                I agree. The forum needs to be kept informed of what, if any, changes are in the offing. Personally, as I have said on a number of occasions, I do not feel that anything much needs altering as I believe the formula works very well. However if change is to happen then it is damaging to keep it all under wraps.
                I, for one, intend to continue exactly as I always have done. If that ends up getting me Banned then so be it. I have no intention of modifying my activity and behaviour to suit the whims of a few hypersensitive newcomers with PC notions of how this place ought to operate.
                how long do you need to have been a member to be part of your "elite"?
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Damn straight.

Comment

Admin has given a few pointers, and also explained why it's taking time to sort things out:

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                    I like the General forum as it is. There have been calls for it to stick to its title of "General issues affecting and of interest to contractors." but I think a lot of the contracting issues are covered in other sections.

The terms and conditions of use are dated and we don't stick to them. I don't have a problem with people calling each other "cretin" or "twunt" but this kind of behaviour really only has a place in General and Light Relief.

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                    Sorry all, only got time for a quick word this morning. A lot of this lies with me and not the new mods. FaQQer, I think part of your annoyance at present comes from reported posts not being given an answer. When I added the new mods I managed to knock myself out of these alerts and these are something I would have dealt with had I seen them.

The problem does lie with the terms and conditions stating no swearing, me being lax in allowing some through and some not.

I have been hit with work problems this morning and not been able to give the time that this issue deserves.

What I want to say to you all is that we need to stop the bickering and intentional wind-ups swiftly. I have suggested to the mods that they PM people before giving an official infraction and I hope that these civilised warnings will be enough to calm the situation before banning.

I have not pushed for warnings on swearing as I wanted to get the forum version up, have a relaxed set of rules for General / Light Relief but crack down on swearing and let you all have fun on here.

I have to shoot again now as have some things I badly need to be doing but will be back shortly.

Comment

May be scots you should stop being a moderator and simply contribute where you feel your input would be worthwhile. I for one regret that you do not involve yourself in threads in the manner to which you used to.

Drop down a rod and line size and you might have more fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X