• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oldest Book you own!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got this one in my pile called 'Magna Carta' but only dates from 12:15. Funny, thought I had it longer than quarter past twelve....

Comment

I've got a bunch of titty mags (Razzle and Fiesta) circa mid 80s

Comment

that's wicked, tiramisu. btw, how was skool today?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Not many people know this but I collect antiquarian books on Esoteric subjects. Picked up a 1st Edition Barretts Magus last year, a 2nd addition Culpeppers and a copy of Lillys Astrology from 1659.

I have some early copies of Malleus Maleficarum and some bibles from 1580 but nothing before that. On the hunt for a 1st of Malleus Maleficarum but fear it may now be out of my price range.

New technology and old books! Anyone else have an interesting collecting hobby and if you have books, whats the oldest?
          Got a few vellum parchments from the reign of King Richard, although I'm not sure which one. If it's Richard I that puts them in the 12th century.

I found them as a child while at a holiday camp Christmas reunion in an old mansion in Lancashire in the 60s They had been used to stuff the spine of a large 16th century book, and fell out when I pulled the book off a shelf.

They're probably dead boring, just some medieval contracts, and one of these days I may take them to the British Museum or somewhere to get them translated.

My next oldest book is a 1585 Greek New Testament.
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 27 March 2010, 08:33.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Got to be a bible. I mean it was written 2000 years ago.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Got to be a bible. I mean it was written 2000 years ago.
              Echo...

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              I own a copy of the Bible. That's quite old, 2000 yrs at least I think.
              Also, it wasn't written in English.

And it wasn't written 2000 years ago.
              Last edited by NickFitz; 27 March 2010, 05:00.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Got a small book of Psalms 1624, some bit later thing in praise of Charles II and an early Victorian travel book. Can't give any details as up in attic somewhere.
                I have a copy of Eikon Basilike somewhere too. Written by Charles 1, It was a best-seller in its day (the 1640s), but I imagine is fairly boring by modern standards.

As I had it rebound in vellum, it should last a good few hundred years more.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                  I own a copy of the Bible. That's quite old, 2000 yrs at least I think.
                  I have a copy of Euclid's Elements. 2300 years old, with the additional advantage that the content is true.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    I have a copy of Euclid's Elements. 2300 years old, with the additional advantage that the content is true.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

This thread got me in a bit of a panic. Thought I might have thrown them away by accident in last big clearout. Anyway, found em.

1 The whole booke of psalmes 1625 (or 1635, unclear)

2 Reliquiae sacrae Carolinae. The workes of that great monarch and glorious martyr King Charles the 1st - About 1650

3 Cary's new itinerary or an accurate delineation of the great roads, both direct and cross throughout England and Wales 1819
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X