• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coping with bullying in a contract (long post).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
    Hey everyone!

Haven't been on here for a while but wanted to pop in to get some advice.

Am currently on the receiving end of the usual crap from public sector employees, and they're all pathetic little tulips aren't they?

Thanks,
    A
    FTFY

Yes, they are.

There's not a right lot to do about it, you won't achieve any change.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yep Public Sector. I normally work for Blue Chip and thought it would help me in this economy as so many agents say you must have PS experience to do certain roles. Am at the point of never again.
      Well that ~@*& explains it. They utterly hate contractors.

Another suggestion is to get a thicker skin. Now you shouldn't have to put up with bullying, but one of the reasons they continue to do it - is because they know it's getting to you. There wouldn't be any sport it in for them if there was no reaction.

What gender are we talking about here (yourself, them). "Having a Mr" implies you are female, but don't want to be too presumptious If, so then in the male dominated world of IT, the threat of a sex descrimination case should get your director's attention because then he would be the one that would be deemed ultimately responsible for letting it happen. From what you have said, it might not be much of an exaggeration either.

Good luck

Comment

With contracts few and far between I'd stick it out. Don't let the ******** grind you down.

You need to develop a thicker skin, hang around here more and it'll happen naturally.

Just remember they're pissants stuck in a job they hate and envy you for not being one of them. I'd laugh in their faces at the childish stunts they pull, and blank them the rest of the time if you don't need to interact with them to do your work.

Show them you don't really give a toss about them or what they get up to, you're there to do a job not makes friends.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I've only been in a bullied position once on a contract. I just left as soon as possible. It was just one bad PM really after I was drafted in to fix a broken project.

He was a weird guy. There was all sorts of stupid stuff.

Sometimes I still have dealings with him through the industry. He's still a fool.

It's crap when the market is like it is just now but I think the only thing to do is get out soon as.

Comment

I do need to develop a thicker skin definitely and try and stick to it. The organisation does a lot of great work in the community so I need to keep my focus on that and not the good for nothings that they are.

Yep am female Funny thing is one of the bullies is a guy and the other is a girl so the discrimination case won’t work this time. She actually screamed at the Director down the phone once and actually shouted at an NHS member of staff (we are doing some work with them). I was told by the lead techy that because of the country she came from it is acceptable. Was just in shock!

I had one meeting with them and they even said we prefer our old manager (the quitter) because he let us do what we want and never gave us timelines. Boo f**king hoo! Go and cry to someone that cares as you are paid to do a job.

The whole thing is laughable when I actually write it all down. When in the situation it just seems depressing and tiring. They are stuck there as I cannot see any other company ever offering them work and even if they did they would fire them so fast it would be ridiculous. Am glad I can eventually walk away from all of this at some point.

Will see how it goes and monitor how I cope. As long as I don’t break down it should be fine.

Comment

I do need to develop a thicker skin definitely and try and stick to it. .
              Hard but yeah, you do!

Yep am female Funny thing is one of the bullies is a guy and the other is a girl so the discrimination case won’t work this time.
              Are her and him "together" if so - more of a case than you might think!!

I was told by the lead techy that because of the country she came from it is acceptable. Was just in shock!
              Bollocks - I'm Irish - does that mean it's ok for me to swear at people, cos it's acceptable at home? Nope!!

Will see how it goes and monitor how I cope. As long as I don’t break down it should be fine.
              Chin up chuck...

Think of the money!
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Am glad I can eventually walk away from all of this at some point.

Two good points.

But the main ones to focus on are: time sheet signed, invoice sent, money appearing in the bank.

When I worked a place with a bunch of tulips like that, every time the invoice was paid I made a point of stopping off and buying a bottle of Champagne, which I'd stand next to my desk for the day.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  a bottle of Champagne, which I'd stand next to my desk for the day.
                  Sounds like these buggers would pinch it. Hold on! Maybe let them pinch it and get them done for theft? Any chance you could set up a webcam to catch them?

Comment

I would completely ignore them, I would also casually remark to other persons at least once a day on the inability of the subjects at their job, nothing major, just be heard saying stuff like "oh, I think we all know who was working on that" or "can we not give the task to someone else, remember the last time" etc etc.

They will find out this and once they know you are playing the game they usually back down as mud fights are not so much fun when the other person starts chucking stuff back.

I love office politics

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                      When I worked a place with a bunch of tulips like that, every time the invoice was paid I made a point of stopping off and buying a bottle of Champagne, which I'd stand next to my desk for the day.
                      That is so getting used.

Comment

Working...
                      X