• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coping with bullying in a contract (long post).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
    Yep am female Funny thing is one of the bullies is a guy and the other is a girl so the discrimination case won’t work this time. She actually screamed at the Director down the phone once and actually shouted at an NHS member of staff (we are doing some work with them). I was told by the lead techy that because of the country she came from it is acceptable. Was just in shock!
    There's your problem. Is there any chance you could recruit another girl for your team who is on your side?

That worked for me many years ago.
    Last edited by Sysman; 31 January 2010, 21:25.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

They sound like a nasty bunch of oiks. From my comfy armchair my advice would be:
      (1) keep in mind why you're there. It sounds like you're doing it partly for money and partly for experience, & you're getting sufficient of both, so until that changes hang in there.
      (2) always be nicer than them and don't sink to their level (except for the laxatives thing if you get a chance. That sounds fun.) Put on a brave smiley face while inwardly thanking your lucky stars that you're not a git.

"They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head"
      -Psalm 69

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        There's your problem. Is there any chance you could recruit another girl for your team who is on your side?

That worked for me many years ago.
        Good to know that sexism is alive and well in the workforce ..........

Comment

Bullyproof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Lxc...ure=youtu.be&a

Maybe they should do a video for contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            They sound like a nasty bunch of oiks. From my comfy armchair my advice would be:
            (1) keep in mind why you're there. It sounds like you're doing it partly for money and partly for experience, & you're getting sufficient of both, so until that changes hang in there.
            (2) always be nicer than them and don't sink to their level (except for the laxatives thing if you get a chance. That sounds fun.) Put on a brave smiley face while inwardly thanking your lucky stars that you're not a git.

"They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head"
            -Psalm 69
            I agree with this chap.

Especially if they are taking your goodies without consent. Go heavy on the laxative. Or consider heavy duty finger breaking mousetraps.

Comment

A thicker skin is good, but it's the director who needs to grow a pair. I hope you can deal with the bullying oxygen thieves and quietly show them up for what they are.
              For a tailored pep talk, come out for a drink soon and have a bloody good rant
              Chin up lass. As somebody else pointed out - think of the invoice
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

So you've been brought in to 'fix the dept' and they feel under threat.

Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
                am I letting it get to me more than it should?!?!
                If they can see that its getting to you they are clearly enjoying the fact that they can get a reaction. Can you ask to work at a different desk / office / location away from these bozos?

When you started on this gig they should have told you on day 1 what kind of trouble to expect. If this gig has got off on the wrong foot and you are not getting the respect you deserve it may be better to get another gig if the management or directors are not going to be bothered to support you.

Your well being is worth more than the gig, take a step back and think if there is a way of turning the situation around and 'fixing the dept' - then continue in the gig. Otherwise, either play the games or leave.

Good Luck!
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Thanks for all the messages. Was driving back down to London for the past three hours and just got in to see the thread had grown.

Could rant forever about everything that has happened there in the past four months as some of it is just unbelievable. Could write a book with the stories.

Was brought in to implement a tailored version of Prince2 for the department and do some PM work and it just opened a can of worms. There was another consultant brought in to implement ITIL on the Service Desk and he left at the end of December. Bumped in to him once screaming at one of the team and effing and blinding.

I am now doing a mix of programme mgmt, project mgmt, implementing processes as there is a project team in the north that I get on with really well (shame I never see them), BA work, training etc etc. Literally am doing their jobs to keep the place from falling apart. Am back up north tomorrow to train end users on one of the systems as basically they left site without showing them how to use it.

I do get a sense of dread going to the office and am quite glad I am not in London much at the moment. Actually I do have a contract PM I recruited working with me but he is travelling so much too we are never in at the same time so am always stuck on my own with them. He is technical so goes out to site and does their jobs and avoids pretty much any contact with them as they screwed up the project he is working on in his first week there. I quote him "the risk should not have been was there enough time to complete the work but is the team capable of doing anything?". As I have to look at resourcing as well as manage a raft of projects and deal with all their crap I have to spend time with them and he can avoid them.

To be honest I was warned it might be hard but they never gave me the full extent of the crap I would face.

I could put a time limit and say ok if things get worse in the next 3/4 weeks then I am off and if not I will stick it out until something better comes along.

Ladies I definitely do need to come out and meet you all! Am going to be around more from next week onwards so will pop in for one of the sessions.

Comment

If you are going to stick it out then you really need to get HR on side.

Thereafter, as has been mentioned before, you need to tie individuals down to new job specs and measure them against that. Anyone who doesn't cut it, gets the chop. The other 'jokers' will soon fall into line.

In the meantime, by the sounds of it, you have a full role so do you have budget to hire someone to assist? It will help with the work as well as dealing with these cretins on a day to day basis.

Comment

*Alterego - a darned good rant can help. Please don't bottle it up as lots of the good people on here will listen and help if they can.
                      I'm hoping to organise an outing soon. We are not all ladies though
                      Maybe you could make SY01's do?
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X