• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy Australian Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy Australian Contractors

Two lazy Australian contractors on working holiday visas have turned up on our project. They are using an umbrella company and they are being paid (rather less than other contractors) via an agency. I was under the impression that one of the requirements of the working holiday visa was that the participants do not engage in their normal line of work. Has anyone have information about this?

In theory yes.

But our work permit people are MORE THAN HAPPY to see any IT jobs done by foreigners in preferance to UK or EU citizens, so a blind eye is turned.

So you'll just have to make do by taking the piss out of their accents and sporting achievements instead.

HTH

Comment

I've worked in Oz on a WHV.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Austrailian - the most well balanced people on the planet

||
        ||
        \ /
        \/

They have a chip on both shoulders

Comment

Jaysus, what do you do in your spare time - hang out by your window and spy on your neighbours?

So what they're on workign holiday visas - there's as many lazy Brits in Aus doing exactly the same thing.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

The Working Holiday Visa was changed so there are basically very few limits on what you can do... it was another way of getting cheap labour into the country and it avoids the effort of creating an artifical 'skills shortage'...
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

The rules changed recently about the working holiday visa - you can do any type of work but only for 12 months now instead of 24.

Anyway having lost the cricket, rugby and league you should have plenty of pisstaking material.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2005_...mmigration.htm

Many people may be surprised to know that British and American nationals make up the greatest number of overstayers, according to a new report released by Australia's Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobby Lud
                Two lazy Australian contractors on working holiday visas have turned up on our project. They are using an umbrella company and they are being paid (rather less than other contractors) via an agency. I was under the impression that one of the requirements of the working holiday visa was that the participants do not engage in their normal line of work. Has anyone have information about this?
                I take it you are either a permie or not been contracting long. Why? Because i don't think i have been on a contract yet that has not had a good percentage of Aussies, Kiwi's or south africans, hell current one (public sector) is about 95% non european

And from my experience they actually work harder and play harder than most europeans, so generally good to have them on board, only bad thing is they seem to take long holidays

Comment

That one on the right does not look Australian.When I was there out there, out of a population of about 12 million, only a few hundred seemed to be female, but they made up for it with tits like Eyres Rock. Huge tits, loads of broken glass, enormous caterpillars, small sharks and bars like toilets are all that I remember.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                    That one on the right does not look Australian.When I was there out there, out of a population of about 12 million, only a few hundred seemed to be female, but they made up for it with tits like Eyres Rock. Huge tits, loads of broken glass, enormous caterpillars, small sharks and bars like toilets are all that I remember.
                    Hmmmmm, bars......!

Comment

Working...
                    X