• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lazy Australian Contractors"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    I've worked in Oz on a WHV.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.
    nope - in OZ you can only work 3 months with one employer which changes the picture.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobby Lud
    I have read the new regulations since my post and the regulations do state that work is not the primary objective of the applicant. ...
    Regulations = lip service.
    Since we have 'regulations' then everything must be 'under control'.

Why doesn’t the government just come out a say the UK has open doors for IT jobs.
    Because it upsets people from Little Mucking on the Wold (Telegraph readers) and the council estates (Daily Mailers). Just tell you Guardian reading mates who will think it's a fantastic idea.

You see, we are the 'workers of the world'. Your supposed to be embracing your fellow workers from Australia, Botswana, Uzbekistan and just about anywhere else because you share that common bond.

Leave a comment:

• Lobby Lud
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise
    I take it you are either a permie or not been contracting long. Why? Because i don't think i have been on a contract yet that has not had a good percentage of Aussies, Kiwi's or south africans, hell current one (public sector) is about 95% non european

And from my experience they actually work harder and play harder than most europeans, so generally good to have them on board, only bad thing is they seem to take long holidays
    No, I’m not a permie and I have been contracting for over fifteen years. The two lazy Ausies are ex-permies. What makes me sick is that all my recent contracts have been dominated either by Ausies or some fast track visa holders from the Indian sub continent with bogus qualifications and doubtful experience. At the same time I know of a number of highly experienced contractors who are having an increasing time between contracts.

I have read the new regulations since my post and the regulations do state that work is not the primary objective of the applicant. Speaking to the Aussies they said there intention was to come on holiday and they had an ordinary visa but when they arrived at Heathrow the immigration officer asked them if they wanted to work.

Why doesn’t the government just come out a say the UK has open doors for IT jobs.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    That one on the right does not look Australian.When I was there out there, out of a population of about 12 million, only a few hundred seemed to be female, but they made up for it with tits like Eyres Rock. Huge tits, loads of broken glass, enormous caterpillars, small sharks and bars like toilets are all that I remember.
    Hmmmmm, bars......!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    That one on the right does not look Australian.When I was there out there, out of a population of about 12 million, only a few hundred seemed to be female, but they made up for it with tits like Eyres Rock. Huge tits, loads of broken glass, enormous caterpillars, small sharks and bars like toilets are all that I remember.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Two lazy Australian contractors on working holiday visas have turned up on our project. They are using an umbrella company and they are being paid (rather less than other contractors) via an agency. I was under the impression that one of the requirements of the working holiday visa was that the participants do not engage in their normal line of work. Has anyone have information about this?
    I take it you are either a permie or not been contracting long. Why? Because i don't think i have been on a contract yet that has not had a good percentage of Aussies, Kiwi's or south africans, hell current one (public sector) is about 95% non european

And from my experience they actually work harder and play harder than most europeans, so generally good to have them on board, only bad thing is they seem to take long holidays

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeGregan
    replied
    The rules changed recently about the working holiday visa - you can do any type of work but only for 12 months now instead of 24.

Anyway having lost the cricket, rugby and league you should have plenty of pisstaking material.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2005_...mmigration.htm

Many people may be surprised to know that British and American nationals make up the greatest number of overstayers, according to a new report released by Australia's Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    The Working Holiday Visa was changed so there are basically very few limits on what you can do... it was another way of getting cheap labour into the country and it avoids the effort of creating an artifical 'skills shortage'...

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Jaysus, what do you do in your spare time - hang out by your window and spy on your neighbours?

So what they're on workign holiday visas - there's as many lazy Brits in Aus doing exactly the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• monkeyboy
    replied
    Austrailian - the most well balanced people on the planet

||
    ||
    \ /
    \/

They have a chip on both shoulders

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    I've worked in Oz on a WHV.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    In theory yes.

But our work permit people are MORE THAN HAPPY to see any IT jobs done by foreigners in preferance to UK or EU citizens, so a blind eye is turned.

So you'll just have to make do by taking the piss out of their accents and sporting achievements instead.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Lobby Lud
    started a topic Lazy Australian Contractors

Lazy Australian Contractors

Two lazy Australian contractors on working holiday visas have turned up on our project. They are using an umbrella company and they are being paid (rather less than other contractors) via an agency. I was under the impression that one of the requirements of the working holiday visa was that the participants do not engage in their normal line of work. Has anyone have information about this?

Working...
X