• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy Australian Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Not So Wise
    I take it you are either a permie or not been contracting long. Why? Because i don't think i have been on a contract yet that has not had a good percentage of Aussies, Kiwi's or south africans, hell current one (public sector) is about 95% non european

And from my experience they actually work harder and play harder than most europeans, so generally good to have them on board, only bad thing is they seem to take long holidays
    No, I’m not a permie and I have been contracting for over fifteen years. The two lazy Ausies are ex-permies. What makes me sick is that all my recent contracts have been dominated either by Ausies or some fast track visa holders from the Indian sub continent with bogus qualifications and doubtful experience. At the same time I know of a number of highly experienced contractors who are having an increasing time between contracts.

I have read the new regulations since my post and the regulations do state that work is not the primary objective of the applicant. Speaking to the Aussies they said there intention was to come on holiday and they had an ordinary visa but when they arrived at Heathrow the immigration officer asked them if they wanted to work.

Why doesn’t the government just come out a say the UK has open doors for IT jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobby Lud
      I have read the new regulations since my post and the regulations do state that work is not the primary objective of the applicant. ...
      Regulations = lip service.
      Since we have 'regulations' then everything must be 'under control'.

Originally posted by Lobby Lud
      Why doesn’t the government just come out a say the UK has open doors for IT jobs.
      Because it upsets people from Little Mucking on the Wold (Telegraph readers) and the council estates (Daily Mailers). Just tell you Guardian reading mates who will think it's a fantastic idea.

You see, we are the 'workers of the world'. Your supposed to be embracing your fellow workers from Australia, Botswana, Uzbekistan and just about anywhere else because you share that common bond.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
        I've worked in Oz on a WHV.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.
        nope - in OZ you can only work 3 months with one employer which changes the picture.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X