• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darling to shelve NHS IT system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I wonder how far Google had got for the first £1 billion, let alone £12 billion. I would imagine, quite a long way. I'd also suggest that in adjusted real-world value, both MS and Apple have created several operating systems for that kind of cash.
    Did Google ask external consultancies to do the job for them? No - they hired bright people who did what was necessary very efficiently. It cost them less than £12 bln, and that most likely includes many data centers around the world - the task that they solve so well is a couple of orders of magnitude harder than anything NHS IT system was meant to do.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I wonder how far Google had got for the first £1 billion, let alone £12 billion. I would imagine, quite a long way. I'd also suggest that in adjusted real-world value, both MS and Apple have created several operating systems for that kind of cash.

I also doubt that World of Warcraft (which is a formidable system, seriously) has got anywhere around that level of investment.

The NHS may be big, but really there are only 60 million people in the UK and it is hard to conceive what £12bn could be spent on. That's 120 THOUSAND man-years of work, even if it costs £100k/year per person.

In the private sector, would even a big bank spend that much on a new software system?
      The NHS is not big- only average.
      Its not that complex - only average here also.

SO WHERE ARE THE SPECIFIC PROBLEMS??

PZZ

Comment

NPfIT spend is believed to be £12 bn over the past seven years.

NHS spend on IT over the past seven years (excluding NPfIT) is £7bn.

So, if the system is scrapped, over the next five years, at least a further £5bn is going to be spent by the NHS on IT, not including whatever is purchased to replace the scrapped system.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post

PZZ
          Safety, privacy, accuracy, completeness, speed, security.

But the big one is safety which depends on the others being 100% right. If they aren't, you don't lose an order, or a bit of customer data, you could kill someone.

Guarantee those and you're most of the way there.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Safety, privacy, accuracy, completeness, speed, security.

But the big one is safety which depends on the others being 100% right. If they aren't, you don't lose an order, or a bit of customer data, you could kill someone.

Guarantee those and you're most of the way there.
            Safety, privacy, security... nothing that unusual. Banks have this and actually your personal medical data is not as super-critical as their data (it IS important, but not in the same way).
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post

PZZ
              data take-up
              migration
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
              X