• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darling to shelve NHS IT system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What, branches dig up streets to lay down their own fiber optics? Renting fiber from BT/Telewest is not exactly the same thing.
    Renting a private circuit from whoever is completely different from using a public network.
    Banking transactions are pretty private - yet banks allow people access their accounts via web/SSL. There is no reason why NHS can't use the same open tried and tested technologies.
    Needing 24x7, convenient access to your bank accounts is totally different from your medical information. You have the *choice* to use online banking via SSL. If they used a public network to transmit your medical information you don't have that choice and I'd rather they didnt send my stuff over it, regardless of any encryption used.

AFAIK N3 has a single gateway to the internet, far easier to control than having thousands of entry/exit points and far more secure imo.

Comment

Mr Whippy,
      you will need to excuse AtW's rather naive view of how the world works. He is a bit hard of thinking!

HTH
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

What, branches dig up streets to lay down their own fiber optics? Renting fiber from BT/Telewest is not exactly the same thing.

Banking transactions are pretty private - yet banks allow people access their accounts via web/SSL. There is no reason why NHS can't use the same open tried and tested technologies.
        Bank branches have total control over the client machines, the NHS have no control over the client machines.

The model will be similar to viewing your bank account online, and that system gets hacked everyday.

Your superficial analysis of the job only makes you look even more of a fool than you already look.

Comment

why dont we borrow this software from frenchies and make a bootlegged copy
          There, I have saved £12 billion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
            Renting a private circuit from whoever is completely different from using a public network.

Needing 24x7, convenient access to your bank accounts is totally different from your medical information. You have the *choice* to use online banking via SSL. If they used a public network to transmit your medical information you don't have that choice and I'd rather they didnt send my stuff over it, regardless of any encryption used.

AFAIK N3 has a single gateway to the internet, far easier to control than having thousands of entry/exit points and far more secure imo.
            Listen - if it saves £12 bln, then it's better to stick to old paper methods, the main point is that amount is criminal and should have never been allocated.

Comment

Listen - if it saves £12 bln, then it's better to stick to old paper methods, the main point is that amount is criminal and should have never been allocated.
              That may be the case but claiming that you could write a program for X when you clearly know nothing about the program just makes you look like a fool.

And no, the system is not just there to pass details between server and client by the way.

Comment

the main point is that amount is criminal and should have never been allocated.
                The main point I took away was disbelief that you are adamant you could deliver "it" for £10million when you have no clue as to exactly what "it" involves in its entirety. Any you are prepared to sign a contract to this effect....

Comment

ZOMG so much data!

This is not 80s ffs, if a small company like ours can find way to store web graph with trillions of edges in it, then surely given 10000 times more resources it is possible to do this very simple NHS database?

What NHS should have done is develop a fairly simple spec with API and a set of tests to verify if software complies with it. *Any* company that pass the test should qualify for final decision.

I'd do it for £10 mln or less (plus hardware costs but they will be minimally required, ie: good redundant central servers and client PCs with internet connections).
                  They do this already, and lots of small companies are getting SPINE accredited and hooked up.

I'd say the national programme was a sham in the most part but is finally following the right approach and focussing on how to solve the problem correctly. It's a shame so much ££ was wasted, and will now likely lead to the canning of the project just as it starts to pay dividends.

TM

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    The main point I took away was disbelief that you are adamant you could deliver "it" for £10million when you have no clue as to exactly what "it" involves in its entirety. Any you are prepared to sign a contract to this effect....
                    Yes I'll deliver "it" or £10 mln (paid in advance) and I'll sign contract to that effect

Comment

No it is the same thing. How is it different? That's like saying a microsoft's website is not microsofts because it is not hosted in one of their datacentres. A private network can and are provided by a service provider, other than providing internet access to residentail and small business customers this is their bread and butter.

Again you are showing a lack of understanding of networking, the reason why a hospital can't use SSL via the internet is becuase there is no way of ensuring a quality of service. They could, and do, use SSL over a private network however.

It is also, by it's very nature, insecure as it is having to pass over a public network that the client has no control over, even if the data is encrypted. I just hope you've never had to work on a project where any personal data was involved.

Comment

Working...
                      X