• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darling to shelve NHS IT system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Indeed, I can't see any complexity
    That's why you do what you do.

Mr Whippy and Stek obviously know what they're talking about, why don't you just give up now?

Other reasons this has failed:

1) iSoft claiming they had a working system (Lorenzo)
    2) IT directors in the NHS realising the project would kill off their little empires and resisting it.
    3) Lack of a mandate from the top. Too many hospitals went off and did their own thing.

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
      Mr Whippy and Stek obviously know what they're talking about, why don't you just give up now?
      I am not the giving up type

Comment

I wanted to know more about the NHS system and I tried to search the web using majestic12 but it seems to be timing out.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I wanted to know more about the NHS system and I tried to search the web using majestic12 but it seems to be timing out.
          How many times do I have to tell you that this experimental search is not our current focus now? Next year we'll give another whack at full text search, until then don't bother me about it.

HTH

Comment

How many times do I have to tell you that this experimental search is not our current focus now? Next year we'll give another whack at full text search, until then don't bother me about it.
            Just as well you're not running NPfIT then really is it...

Doctor : "Excuse me but I really need to see that X-Ray of that cancer patient but it doesnt seem to be there....."

AtW : "Sorry but images aren't my main focus right now... I'm building another empty database to flog to the military as I'm sure it's better than what they can come up with and it'll be 1000 cheaper... come back in 6 months (if he's still alive)"

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
              Other reasons this has failed:

1) iSoft claiming they had a working system (Lorenzo)
              2) IT directors in the NHS realising the project would kill off their little empires and resisting it.
              3) Lack of a mandate from the top. Too many hospitals went off and did their own thing.
              Pretty much.

Also if we were to access the most private of data via the internets, other than security concerns, how would ATW guarantee delevery of the data packets during peak periods, such as a saturday night, on a public network?

You can't apply QoS on the internet as your ISP will just ignore it, treating the life or death medical data passing through their network with the same priority as youtube/xboxlive/bit torrent traffic.

Also PKI can be broken, yes it takes a very powerful computer a long time, but it can still be done. And i wouldn't like it if i were a celeb, for instance, and the news iof the world had managed to hack my medical data to find out i had an STD!

Comment

HTH
                It was your focus for 6 years and it looks as if you gave up on it when you could not get it to work. That sounds not far off what the goverment are saying.

I think it is rich slagging of the NHS project when your own public facing projects are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Comment

Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
                  Also if we were to access the most private of data via the internets, other than security concerns, how would ATW guarantee delevery of the data packets during peak periods, such as a saturday night, on a public network?
                  How do banks do it, and other businesses, do they dig ground to put their own fiber optics in it?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    It was your focus for 6 years and it looks as if you gave up on it when you could not get it to work. That sounds not far off what the goverment are saying.

I think it is rich slagging of the NHS project when your own public facing projects are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
                    I don't get paid £12 bln to develop full text search engine, in fact we earn money by developing backlinks side of it that will enable us to build full text search one using those resources. Consequently this is where the focus is - we have to deliver what paying customers pay for, sadly currently this leave little time for free work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                      Just as well you're not running NPfIT then really is it...

Doctor : "Excuse me but I really need to see that X-Ray of that cancer patient but it doesnt seem to be there....."

AtW : "Sorry but images aren't my main focus right now... I'm building another empty database to flog to the military as I'm sure it's better than what they can come up with and it'll be 1000 cheaper... come back in 6 months (if he's still alive)"
                      See answer above - you can't expect free stuff to give up 100% uptime or work perfectly, if it's not then go use someone else. If you can do better (by working for over 5 years without being paid regularly) then give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                      X