• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darling to shelve NHS IT system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's about time all large Govt IT contracts that required custom implementation were stopped - it should work the old school way: a private company develops a system at its own expense and then markets it to all sort of buyers: any failures of the system is responsibility of the firm.
    Totally agree - Goverment cannot do IT projects without getting fleeced

Seriously what were they thinking when they decided to spend 12 billion??

I d set up a website in a month for 15k!!!

Each surgery can buy their own god dman computer and hook it up to the web.

Bottom line is though I feel sorry for all those with NHS backgrounds who are going to be sitting on the bench for a long time or having to take a 50% pay cut

Get used to it

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
      Cushy non-executive jobs in respective firms that won the tender?

Or maybe they were just incompetent

Comment

Or maybe they were just incompetent
        As I have heard many times from those inside NPfIT (not one of whom has ever worked outside the NHS):

"We're the NHS, we're different. Did you know we are the second largest organisation in the world, second only to the Chinese Red Army? This means we need different ways of working from everyone else. What you think of as 'best practice' does not apply to us. But you wouldn't understand, you're only in IT."

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          As I have heard many times from those inside NPfIT (not one of whom has ever worked outside the NHS):

"We're the NHS, we're different. Did you know we are the second largest organisation in the world, second only to the Chinese Red Army? This means we need different ways of working from everyone else. What you think of as 'best practice' does not apply to us. But you wouldn't understand, you're only in IT."

I always thought that they were second after the North Korean army? That's what I was told when Oracle won their contract with the NHS.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sais that the NHS are only the worlds 6th biggest employer here: http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/health...-200908193991/

Also, given that they are probably going to spend another 70Bn on the system over the next few years, this is not my idea of shelving a system.

Lets see what happens to the suppliers share price in the morning.....potentially a more accurate indicator than gov spin...

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
              Sais that the NHS are only the worlds 6th biggest employer here:
              This is the article I recall

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1050197.ece

when they were 3rd biggest and yes it was the Chinese army that was referred to.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                when they were 3rd biggest and yes it was the Chinese army that was referred to.
                And the 2nd one was presumably ze Soviet Armee?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  You mean they should speculate on the success of their venture?
                  It's not speculation when one invests long term into creating a product and then selling it in full or in parts.
                  So risking capital for a long and undefind period of time for a undefined and possibly non-existent pay-off is NOT speculation.

However, when I, say, take a position in euro FX futures with a predefined stop loss and profit targets, and duration expectations (in my case minutes); that is speculation.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

They were thinking they'd get away from hospitals/surgeries/etc having disparate, incompatible systems and get something that worked nationally and allowed clinicians across the country access to information/images in seconds they wouldn't normally have. This can lead to improved healthcare and potentially save lives.. i.e. you live in Devon, get hit by a bus in Newcastle, they'd be able to see any prescription medicine you're on which may have an affect on the treatment that you need receive..... There are many benefits, unfortunately the programme is just a little too ambitious imo.

I d set up a website in a month for 15k!!!
                    Yeah, because all the NPfIT needs to store the medical records of 65 million plus people, 700 million prescriptions annually, tens of millions of x-ray/ultrasound/etc images, choose and book, RIS, PACS, EPS, etc etc is a LAMP server.....

Each surgery can buy their own god dman computer and hook it up to the web.
                    great idea... I'd love to have my medical records "hooked up to the web". I really don't think letting all the trusts go off and do their own thing is a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                      Yeah, because all the NPfIT needs to store the medical records of 65 million plus people, 700 million prescriptions annually, tens of millions of x-ray/ultrasound/etc images, choose and book, RIS, PACS, EPS, etc etc is a LAMP server.....
                      ZOMG so much data!

This is not 80s ffs, if a small company like ours can find way to store web graph with trillions of edges in it, then surely given 10000 times more resources it is possible to do this very simple NHS database?

What NHS should have done is develop a fairly simple spec with API and a set of tests to verify if software complies with it. *Any* company that pass the test should qualify for final decision.

I'd do it for £10 mln or less (plus hardware costs but they will be minimally required, ie: good redundant central servers and client PCs with internet connections).

Comment

Working...
                      X