• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QT tonight: Will you be tuning in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the only balance is between one extreme and another, and what is happening on immigration is totally extreme, the far right is an essential part of democracy. You may not like them but the only reason that this goverment is considering any caps at all on immigration is due to rise of the BNP and the fear that they will take working class votes and threaten some marginal seats. The Neo Nazis did Germany the same favour in the 60s.

I think Frank Field and Nicholas Soames have summed things up nicely here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/6...-flourish.html

The only time that far right parties flourish is when the legitimate and reasonable wants and aspirations of ordinary people are totally ignored. Eventually reasonable people won't take any more. This has all happened before, most notably in Vienna 1907 when the city was overrun with foreigners and Austria's own culture and nationality was denigrated as ours is now.

Who made this tolerant comment do you think?

I still saw only the religion of the Jews and for reasons of human tolerance held aloof from attacks on this religion, as any other. Consequently, the tone struck by the antisemitic press of Vienna appeared to me as unworthy of the cultural heritage of a great nation. The memory of certain occurrences in the Middle Ages oppressed me; I would not wish to see them repeated.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I suppose I will have to watch it, but I don't relish the prospect of spending an hour ranting at the tv.

I would imagine they will talk about issues other than race, as the BNP don't stand just on the "send 'em all back" ticket.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        as the BNP don't stand just on the "send 'em all back" ticket.
        Wasn't that cyberman? At least he had the correct approach for those dodgy oirish, mancunian nuns!
        Last edited by cupidstunt; 22 October 2009, 11:48.

Comment

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
          Wasn't that cyberman? At least he had the correct approach for those dodgy oirish, mancunian nuns!
          He'll be in the audience.

BBC website says the guests are:
          Jack Straw, Labour
          Baroness Warsi, Conservative
          Chris Huhne, Lib Dem
          Nick Griffin, BNP
          Bonnie Greer, Playwright

I reckon a couple of them will give him a run for his money.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Didn't he think she was Welsh?

Comment

You are sooooooo cruising for a bruising!!

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              Didn't he think she was Welsh?
              He did..... moron that he was!
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

The attacks on the BNP are always very one dimensional. Other than racism, they have other unsavoury facets to their policies too. Capital punishment and the reintroduction of the birch I find just as disturbing to be honest.
                Last edited by bekarovka; 22 October 2009, 11:55.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  If he answers any differently, wouldn't that make him a politician ?

Comment

Originally posted by bekarovka View Post
                    The the BNP are always very one dimensional. Other than racism, they have other unsavoury facets to their policies too. Capital punishment and the reintroduction of the birch I find just as disturbing to be honest.
                    Really? I quite like the sound of those.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      When the only balance is between one extreme and another, and what is happening on immigration is totally extreme, the far right is an essential part of democracy. You may not like them but the only reason that this goverment is considering any caps at all on immigration is due to rise of the BNP and the fear that they will take working class votes and threaten some marginal seats. The Neo Nazis did Germany the same favour in the 60s.

I think Frank Field and Nicholas Soames have summed things up nicely here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/6...-flourish.html

The only time that far right parties flourish is when the legitimate and reasonable wants and aspirations of ordinary people are totally ignored. Eventually reasonable people won't take any more. This has all happened before, most notably in Vienna 1907 when the city was overrun with foreigners and Austria's own culture and nationality was denigrated as ours is now.

Who made this tolerant comment do you think?
                      Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Tories have huge "Stop Immigration" posters during the last election? They didn't win then so presumably this is not a big issue in the electorate's mind.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X